Ch 45

*Underlined wording is Russian*

I'm in my office doing paperwork when I get a call from Clint. I put my pen down and answer the phone.

"Mace, Fury needs us in his office. Next mission." Clint says through the phone.

"Alright on my way." I say then hang up.

I get up from my desk then make my way to Fury's office and walk in to see Clint standing in front of Fury's desk. They turn to me as they hear the door open.

"Alright Fury. What does Knight and Flight have to do." I smile wrapping an arm around Clint's shoulders.

"Knight and Flight? Did you just think of that?" Clint asks amused.

"I actually did." I chuckle.

"Cool." He smiles and we first bump.

"Not to interrupt this lovely bromance but we need to wait for the others." Fury says slightly amused.

"Others?" I ask confused.

"We're here Fury." Natasha says coming in with Sam and Steve.

I unwrap my arm from Clint getting a bit more serious.

Fury notices but doesn't acknowledge it.

"Didn't they just get back from a mission. Knight and Flight got this Fury." I tell him.

"Or better yet I can do it. Myself." I step up confidently.

The others except for Nick look at her like she's out of her mind.

"What if you get hurt? No one will be there to back you up?" Natasha asks and I clench my jaw.

"I could've sworn we had this conversation last night?" I say as I pretend to think then my face straightens.

"I've gotten hurt before with no one there to help. I'll be fine." I say and she rolls her eyes to mask her hurt expression.

"And with those bullet holes in your torso? Yeah you can take a whole arsenal yourself." She says sarcastically.

"Well I'm fine now since I can heal on my own or did you also not care to remember that?" I retort.

"Is there a rift between you two?" Fury asks interrupting.

"Fury, No. Now back to me goin-

He cuts me off by holding up his hand.

"I'm sorry Mason but here we work in teams. Rarely is there solo missions." He says.

"Oh what total bull! Agents go on solo missions all the time!" I exclaim.

"Rarely there is solo missions. For you." He finishes.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I ask taken back.

"Remember the last time you were bullheaded and went on a mission on your own, we could've lost you. Luckily you just ended up being high off your ass." He says.

Natasha's eyes widen hearing Fury's words wanting to know what he's talking about.

I clench my jaw stepping back next to Clint who places a hand on my shoulder comfortingly.

"Here are your mission briefs." He says handing 5 manilla envelopes to Clint.

He takes one and passes the rest to me. I get one and hold the rest out to Natasha. She takes them brushing her hand against mine. I move my hand away as best I can so it wouldn't be obvious to the others.