Chapter 18

Just before 9 PM

JP Nanda's Hotel room, Goa.

Sharmila and Monty sat opposite their boss J P Nanda as he finished last dregs of his after dinner coffee. They had come to give their latest report on Victor, but Nanda forced them to stay back and have dinner with him at his room. Everyone was dressed casually including Nanda Sir. Sharmila tied her hair at the back in a large bun and was clad in black hoodie and jeans, just like Monty, who was without his Turban today, prompting their boss to mock them that "they were looking like twins".  

"Sir, as I said, we had a lucky break.  We went to Bicholim this morning and showed Victor's photo around and they recognised him straight away. In fact they were hailing him and his group of men who helped them as some sort of heroes. But all they could tell us was that they left the Village immediately afterwards, and someone even lent their car for them so that they can travel back to Goa. We still have to find out where exactly Victor is, because the driver dropped them all at the Caculo Mall in the city. Did Victor ever work in Goa before or know any contacts here?" Sharmila asked.

"Hmm.... No. I am not aware what local contacts he had here, and as you know Victor is not the kind of person who shared all this with anyone. But I don't blame him. As I keep telling you, agents must guard their informers at all costs. I still can't believe that he pulled off such a massive job at Bicholim without any help from our agency. Of course the local Police Inspector helped, but it is not the same." As Nanda sir smiled with pride, Monty eyes flickered between him and his niece Sharmila.

"Sir, you must be tired after the long day at conference. We will go back to our hotel now." Monty got up slowly and Sharmila joined him. They both wished their boss good night and came downstairs.

Across the street, a musician was busking with his saxophone, enchanting a small crowd that was gathered around him. Monty and Sharmila joined the crowd to listen.

After few minutes, out of the corner of her eye, Sharmila noticed Nanda Sir hurry towards his car parked across the street. Sharmila signalled Monty and they reached Nanda's car in quick strides.

"Sir, Is everything okay?" Sharmila asked.

"Hmm, yeah nothing to worry, I have to go somewhere urgently. Well actually there is something to worry, but I don't want to involve you kids in this. Don't worry, I have called for backup." Nanda explained in a hurry as he got busy in setting up the SATNAV in the car with his destination address.

"Sir! Where are you going? You can't go anywhere on your own just like that. You are not a filed agent but joint director of IB for goodness sake. Is somebody in trouble? Then we both can surely help. We are not such amateurs as you think." Sharmila said furiously.

"Yes Sir, and whether you like it or not we are coming with you." Monty added.

From their mutinous looks, Nanda understood that there was no way he would be allowed to go alone. He sighed and asked, "Please think once again, this could be highly dangerous. And if you want to come, then make sure you got your guns with you."

"Don't worry, we have them with us all the time." Sharmila assured him as she opened the car door and sat inside.

"Let's go then. I will explain everything on the way." Nanda hurried them as he sped the car  towards Nerul.

"I just got a call from someone, I can't tell you who it is right now, so don't bug me for details. He was in a lot of distress, I could not understand half the things he said as he was crying and talking in whispers as if he was scared of being overheard. But here's the thing. Victor's life is in danger. Some guys are trying to ambush him in this guesthouse in Nerul, and that is where we are going right now. Who these men are, I have no idea. I have already called for backup, but they might be sometime away, and I can't afford to wait for them where Victor is concerned. I just hope we are there in time." Nanda explained anxiously.