Memory Loss

You stare deep in Richard's cinnamon orbits with eyes full of tears. He stares back with a level of intensity that never fails to weaken your legs and fasten your heart.

"Just one kiss, Y/N." He says, his voice deep, soft and tempting.

 A tear rolls down to your cheek before you turn around…

"And you ran away?!" You friend asks incredulously. "Girl, do you realize that you've missed a golden opportunity to win him over?!"

"Yes, of course I do. But I love him too much and respect her too much to just stand between them and take him away from her." You explain to your friend.

"But he doesn't remember her!"

You close your eyes taking a breath. Your friend is talking about the amnesia Richard got after the terrible incident about a month ago. 

You've dreamt about meeting him thousands of times but never in your wildest dreams have you imagined you'd meet him the way you did. You've been in the US for not more than a week when one day while crossing the street to go to the local supermarket you stumbled upon a terrible car crash. There were two cars, a black minivan and a convertible Mercedes. It looked like the driver of the van had lost control over it and had jammed straight into the other car. The scene was a complete chaos and you could see the paramedics trying to pull the victims from the disheveled vehicles. It was when they pulled the unconscious driver of the Mercedes that you saw who he was and you froze dead in your tracks. Your heart fell and your eyes widened, welling up with tears.

"Richard." You whispered under your breath and ran straight towards the ambulance they were pulling him in. 

When you reached it you saw his girlfriend being rolled into another ambulance, also unconscious, so you begged the paramedics to let you go into the ambulance with Richard. You sat next to him and gently put your fingers on his hand, squeezing it slightly. Once the ambulance arrived into the hospital he was taken in for full examination and then moved to a room. 

The doctor allowed you to see him but not before informing you that the trauma on his head was serious and there were no prognosis on when or if he was going to wake up. You didn't say anything too stunned and horrified to reply but deep inside you knew how strong he is and you were sure he'll wake up. 

When the doctor brought you to Richard's room you were hesitant to go in but when you saw him lying motionless and alone you rushed inside. The doctor checked the monitors attached to Richard and his vitals and told you he was reacting positively to your presence. You pulled a chair next to Richard's bed and you gently took his hand in your own.

"It's ok, Richard, I'm here, you're not alone." You whispered softly placing your lips on the top of his hand. "I'll be here for as long as you need me and won't move from my place to your bed until you ask me to do it yourself. Or at least until she gets better and is ready to take her place next to your bed."

You heart broke when you added the last part but you knew it was inevitable. With your free hand you touched his face.

"You'll never know how much I love you, but I hope you she loves you the way you deserve to be loved."

Your fingers gently fondled his skin and you blinked back the tears that were filling your eyes.

The next two weeks passed by relatively quickly. 

You talked to Richard's girlfriend explaining who you are and why you were there. Instead of getting angry, she thanked you for being there for both of them. Richard's condition got better and he woke up but it was then when another shock followed. When he woke up, Richard said he didn't remember anything. He got very upset and emotional over the news of having amnesia and the doctor asked everyone to leave. When you moved to exit his room however Richard asked you to stay. You turned to look at him shocked and not knowing what to say. You’d be lying if you said your heart didn’t jump in your chest when he asked you to stay. As happy as you were however a quick glance at his girlfriend helped you clear your mind. As much as you wanted to be the one to take care of him that right belonged to someone else.