Ch#24 Gol gapay

"Can we go yetttt!" I whined as we waited to go to Fariha Baji's. It's a tradition that the brides family/closed cousins etc takes breakfast for the newly wedded couple. It was late but we were still going because Khala (aunt) said that everyone will be up late, and well because we miss her and we get to bring Farhia baji back with us for the day and bhai would come pick her up later tonight and then we'll meet her tomorrow at the valima (reception).
Once finally in the car don't worry I bought the cracked platypus and Belle with me. Can't leave my guests alone at home when I'm out there having fun! Well, I can but I'm never known to be unfair! *wink*
"What are your plans for today bachon (kids)?" Baba asked.
"Quaid-e-azam mazar and the mall Baba." I replied.
"Okay good, the hut has been booked for Sunday we'll leave early." He said.
"Yay!" Belle shrieked.
As usual Dawood stayed stoic.
At Fariha Baji's all the girls went to Fariha baji's room to pack and Dawood stayed out with the men. Man, that thought makes me laugh.

"Beeeeeelllllllllleeeeeeee" I screamed for her as we may have had lost her. At THE QUAID E AZAMS mosque!!! If you've ever been there, you'd probably realise why I was panicking at the very moment. While stupid idiot good for nothing little brat was casually strolling after me. As stories go, a person who was lost in 2012 still haven't been found! Or maybe that was somewhere else, but whatever! I need to find bell!! Ya Allah! Where is she!?

"She's not going anywhere, chill." Dawood very calmly said.
"SHE'S LOST! AT A PLACE WITH OVER  A 1000 PEOPLE AND 33,000 Sq Meters of land!!! In a foreign land might I remind you!" I spat at him while I continued looking for her. Thats when the idiot calmly pulled out his phone, turned on the 360 tracker app thingi and mentioned me to follow him. 6 minutes later, we found bell who was just looking for water! Does she not realize what's she's exposing herself too! Normal water for a foreigner! One way to get diarrhoea!! And another way to may or may not end up at the hospital. Poor people, they aren't as strong as we are.

Once seated back in the car, "If we're done with the boring history tour can we finally go to the mall and get me some clothes!?" Dawood whined.
"It was not a boring history tour!" Me and Belle spoke at the same time.
"Did you see those antique cars and clothes  and even the furniture! I haven't seen anything like that in a while." Belle went on.
"Yeah yeah yeah, they're old- plain and simple giving them a fancy name won't change that." He cried.
You see how hard do I have to control myself to not wrangle his neck and leave him in a ditch somewhere.
"I say the same thing! There was no point in naming you Dawood, you don't have any good qualities, you're just ..... a boy. You're the farthest thing from a "beloved friend". I said childishly. He's a cracked platypus, everything leaves his mouth makes me want to resort to violence.

"How original, now  can we get to the mall? I've spent 6 days without any of my stuff, I'd like to see you try to do that." He replied.
"And who's fault was that." I stated. If only he would have bought his luggage with.

The rest of the drive went without us bickering and only Belle yelling she's hungry. And I may or may not have told her about gol gapay, so instead of the mall our first destination was doraji to get those delicious, spicy and mouth watering gol gapay. And no, the gol gapay from the mall does not. And I repeat, does not compare to the real thing out on the streets. We have to take a chance sometimes, if you just get scared and not have the delicacies our cities have to offer what did you really do here!? All we do is eat! I mean really, if you ate a new thing for 5 years straight you still won't run out of things to try out! Oh Allah! We're absolutely foodies! Which may or may not be good for everyone's health but yeah, we'll work that out when we get there.

"So you're just supposed to dip this bread thing in the water and eat it?" Dawood ask as he looks weirdly at the gol gappa.
"Yup! Like this!" I showed him. But dunking the gol gapa and putting it directly in my mouth dripping a lot of pani (water; gol gapa sauce?)
"I think I'm gonna pass." He slowly said as Belle follwed my lead.
"You what?" I said as I glared at him. That did it and he quietly did the same, he didn't dunk it all the way but ah well, he's new. He's excused for now.

That's when magrib azan (call for prayers) started and I stopped eating.
"What you're done with your stupid gol gapay?" He asked now smirking. Stupid guy has been gasping since it was too spicy for him. Belle was enjoying btw!
I sent him a glare and stayed quiet, once the Azan was done I shoved a gol gappa in my mouth looking him straight on his eyes and then explained,
"A person should stop whatever they're doing as it's best to recite the azan while it's been said. It's also said your prayers and wishes would come true at that moment. So little one, it's common courtesy to ..... shut up." I said as I shoved the 12th? Or maybe it was 14th Gol gapa in my mouth.

Once done with gol gapay I dragged them to the nearest mosque that  had a women's area (not every one does) because I didn't want to miss magrib! I went in for salat (namaz), Belle came with while Dawood as usual had to stay out and away away away!
As we were making our way back we saw a little boy, maybe 8? Teaching his younger brother who would have been about 5 how to pray. These little acts just melts my heart, it's so sweet to realise and teach these things to kids at a young age. A child can learn and still be a kid. Often at times we ignore little things saying that he's too young. Regarded young, it doesn't hurt to learn something that would help you in the future. Just as our prophet Muhammad pbup said, one should start teaching a child how to pray when he/she is 7 and fard (obligatory) once they reach puberty.

And finaly we were at the mall, much to my displeasure. If you haven't guessed, I'm not much of a fan of shopping. We left Dawood to fend for himself he's a grown man, he can find his way around a mall and asked him to meet us at the food court in an hour.

Authors note:
Salam everyone! Here's a chapter for all you amazing people! It's terrible really, but it's there. Also, all you Karachites or those who've been to Karachi, what are your favourite places (need ideas! We don't have much time left)?

Vote, comment, share!