Chapter Thirty-Seven: Violet

Metal screeching had me curling into the smallest ball I could in the confines of the trunk as a bullet punched through the corner of the trunk. The deafening noise had my ears ringing where the bullet had narrowly missed my head by a couple of inches. Shit!

 I needed to let the pack know that I was in here or I would end up looking like swiss cheese by the time Decker stopped the car. I needed to go back to my original plan as the car swerved throwing my violently into the back of the trunk stealing my breath but I was able to keep a hold on the crow bar. If I made it out of this alive I was going to be more bruise than person.

There was a screech of breaks on my right and a couple more shots rang out but nothing hit the car this time; it must have been the Coyotes returning fire. Pushing myself as far back as I could I braced my feet against the front lip of the trunk and angled the crow bar in front of myself at head level and stabbed down the best that I could at the red plastic break light. 

My first attempt caught the metal above the light jarring my hand in the process and I yelped. With gritted teeth I lined it up again and jabbed the sharper edge down hitting the light dead centre and cracking the plastic into little pieces.

Dropping the crow bar, I slid my body over the carpet and pushed the rest of the broken pieces out of the hole I had made. I pressed my face up against the warm metal of the trunk and tried to make out what was going on outside. We had made it close to if not already on the highway as the road was newer asphalt, missing the cracked patches that our inner town roads consisted of. I could make out the steel guard rail on one side so we weren't on a back road either.

 McCormick must have set up road blocks or check points somewhere along the highway so Decker would have to stop eventually. It was a hope that I held onto as I pushed my arm as far out of the broken break light as I could, hissing as the jagged edges that I had missed bit into my skin I ignored it and waved my arm back and forth. I did this for a minute until little trickles of blood ran down past my elbow willing someone to have seen me.

A familiar motorcycle engine roared up behind the car and I frantically shoved my arm back through and waved it around. "I'm in here!" I kicked the trunk lid doing anything that I could to make enough noise to be heard and draw attention to myself.

"Jesus don't shoot the car! Violet's in the trunk." I barely heard Seth's voice outside the trunk over the rushing wind but I had heard it. I pulled my arm back replacing it with my eye so I could see Seth riding close behind the car leaning down and trying to get a look at me. 

"It's going to be okay Darlin' just hold-." Seth stopped and swerved as Decker yanked the wheel trying to knock him from his bike.

The motion of the car smacked my forehead into the metal of the trunk. "Damnit!"

 I had had enough of this shit! Scrambling around my hand connected with the crow bar and I flipped over onto my back. With the added light from the bullet hole and missing brake light I was able to see the lock on the trunk and aimed the crow bar at it. Wedging the bar into the lock I worked it back and forth cursing at the damned thing like it had been the one to put me in here. With a final pop the lock gave way and the trunk lid flew open blinding me with the sudden bright sunlight from outside as the lid bounced a couple of times from Decker's erratic driving. Gripping the soft rubber seal on the bottom edge of the trunk with one hand I raised the other one above my head in case the lid came back down and knocked me out while my eyes were adjusting. 

The wind tore at my hair cutting it across my face while I pulled myself to an upright position but the scene in front of me was still clear. Seth and a group of the pack were chasing us down with Rita behind them in her car. I couldn't see if it was Rita but the woman would never let anyone else drive her car.