Monday

As my weekend came to an end, I started to prepare for my upcoming week. Tomorrow was my appointment with Aaliyah, which means I get to see Shawn again. We have been texting constantly ever since our night at the coffee shop. I've learned he has a very distinct sense of humor and is charming 24/7. I couldn't ever imagine him getting mad at someone. Just before I went to sleep, I got a text from him, as expected. 

Shawn 10:34 pm: I hope Aaliyah's appointment goes well tomorrow. I'm glad I get to see your face again ;)

Rachel 10:34 pm: I'm sure it will, I'll take good care of her. Looking forward to seeing you too! Goodnight :)

Shawn 10:35 pm: Sweet dreams.

NEXT MORNING
I woke up to the sound of my alarm, getting out of bed straight away. It didn't take me long to get ready, just the usual: shower, blow drying my hair, little bit of makeup, making a smoothie to-go, and packing up my stuff. After feeding Paisley, I was out the door. The drive was quick and I pulled into my parking spot just on time. I hurried into my exam room, looking at my schedule. Aaliyah's appointment was booked for 10 am, which wasn't for another 2 hours. I set aside the thought of her appointment for now, switching into my working mode. I grabbed my lab coat, cleaned my equipment, and got ready for my first patient.

1 1/2 HOURS LATER

"Okay Martha, your teeth look great. Let's go schedule an appointment for your next checkup, just follow me." I said as I led her down the hallway. We got into the waiting room and walked over to the secretary. I said goodbye and gave her a nice rub on the shoulder. I always love getting older patients because they have such good stories to tell. This time, she was talking about how her 30 year old son was expecting his fourth child. 

As I was walking away, I scanned everyone sitting in the waiting room. My next patient was sitting near the door, reading something on his phone. I went back to clean my exam room and get a new set of tools. After finishing, I made my way back up the the front of the office. Before I could say anything, I noticed something outside of the window. I noticed someone familiar. In the distance, I could see a tall man with fluffy brown hair walking towards the building. As he got closer, I could see someone trailing behind him. It took be a second to realize who it was. 

Shawn opened the door to the dental office, pulling his sister in behind him. She looked very nervous. Shawn, on the other hand, just looked tired. He turned towards the secretary desk so he could sign her in but saw me instead, standing there looking like a doofus. His eyes lit up and the tiredness went away. I took a step in his direction and he came closer. 

"You won't believe how much energy it took just to get her here" he laughed. I looked in Aaliyah's direction and smiled. She didn't respond.

"Looks like I have one more patient, but I'll be quick. Just remember to keep her calm." I winked. 

"Mr. Philips?" I called. Shawn stepped away as my next patient rose out of his chair. I started to walk down the hall, towards the exam rooms, but looked back behind me. I smiled as I saw Shawn watching me with that same grin on his face. Man, I hope this appointment goes by quick.