three

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

"so no more nick?" zion breaks the silence. i rest my head on the window and gaze up at the stars.

"can y'all just let that go? i already explained this" i exhaust in annoyance.

he lifts his arm up in defense, "we cannot just let that go chris, it's been three whole years. three whole years that you've liked nick. we had to get through every phase of you liking him for three fucking years. so of course we're not just letting it go!"

"geez okay okay, i get it! stop ranting!" i chuckle softly.

"so what? is this just another phase? you not like him and pretend you're over him but end up liking him again?" he asks as car lights speed past.

"damn z, stop exposing me!" i get a laugh out of him and he goes back to focusing on the road.

i pull out my jacket and start to wrap it around my body, "no but for real, he obviously didn't like me back. so i was waiting for nothing. it's senior year! i should finally not give a fuck about a guy."

"i'm not even gonna front chris, but that was the dumbest thing you've ever done. you had guys lined up for you and you decided to wait for nick while he was out there doing whatever with whoever" zion reminds me.

"okay okay! enough! i get it! all i ever talk about is nick, let's talk about something else," i think for a moment, "like how you're finally gonna play in the game on friday."

"hey! i play at the games" he gives me a crazy look.

i scoff, "i don't think being the water boy is the right definition of 'playing' in the games."

"okay chris i see how it is" he looks away from me and focuses his gaze on the road.

"but am i wrong" i raise my shoulders.

"in my defense, i'm a stick! the only position they'll put me in is probably the offensive line up"

he pulls up to my driveway and nods towards my house. "you'll be great in whatever position you play z," i hug him goodbye.

i walk into my house and find my mom in the kitchen. "just got home?" i ask as i set my keys down on the counter.

my voice startles her and she jumps. "jesus christine you scared me," she holds her hand over her heart, "yeah we had a school board meeting and for some reason, your principle wanted me there."

i nod my head and sit by the kitchen counter, "how was your first day back to work?"

she grabs a cup of tea and starts to seep the tea bag, "many, many kids did not seem to want to go to class today." my mom shakes her head as she laughs.

"yeah, today pretty much sucked," i explain to her, "but at least i hung out with most of the 'gang' so it wasn't that bad."

she smiles at me, "there you go christine, always see the positives and you'll succeed in life."

she comes around the counter towards me and kisses my forehead. "goodnight babygirl," she whispers and goes upstairs.

***

BEEP BEEP BEEP

i hop out of bed, knowing how long it'll take forever for me to get ready. i throw on a vintage based outfit and paired it with a belt.

as i apply my eyebrow tint, i start to think what i should do with my hair. i finish my natural look for today and brush my hair out.

bad, bad idea. ugh having thick hair is really a challenge, so i decide to just put it into dutch braids and call it a day.

i grab my backpack and head downstairs. "morning baby" my mom calls out as i walk into the kitchen to her cooking.

"good morning mom," i reply while getting an apple out of the fruit basket, "meet you at work?"

"oh honey... you're just gonna get an apple?" she points to the fruit in my hand with her spatula.

i nod my head slowly as i chew a bite of it. "you need to eat a little more sweetie, an apple now just won't do" she hands me some scrambled eggs and bacon with a smile.

"thanks mom, but jas is gonna pick me up soon" i look down at the time on my phone as i eat a piece of bacon.

my mom sets up her own plate of food and sits across from me, "either way you're gonna wanna eat up."

i receive a text from jasmine and quickly stuff my mouth with eggs and take two pieces of bacon. "bye mom, see you later" i kiss her cheek as i rush out the door.

i walk out into my driveway, only to see nick driving with jasmine in the passenger seat.