Chapter 21 - The Anatomy of You

THREE WEEKS LATER

"Alright Miss Simba, seeing that the boys' biological mother has been found guilty there's now the question of what will happen to her sons. You have had custody of them for some time now and they both seem to be thriving in your care. We have searched for unconvicted blood relatives and there seems to be none, so I will recommend you for the adoption of the boys."

Safi's eyes flooded with tears. Aaron tugged on her skirt. She picked him up in her arms.

"Aaron, you'll soon be mine forever," she whispered. He hugged her back tightly.

They left the family court with smiles on their faces.

————-

"Aaron, come eat lunch baby."

Safi never in life thought that at the age of 24, she would find herself with a baby on her back and a little kid running through her home.

"Mmmm smells good, what you cooking?" Eman kissed her cheek.

"It's a gourmet meal if you must ask. Mac n cheese a la mode," Safi giggled. She served a little bowl for Aaron and set it on the table for him.

So much had changed in just a matter of weeks. The boys' mother was found guilty of child neglect and exploitation of a child. She was very aware of the abuse that Aaron was enduring and got a deal to help convict her father of child sexual abuse.

Diamond Baker was sentenced to 15 years of prison time with 5 years of parole. She had to relinquish her parental rights to the children.

The grandfather, Samuel, was convicted of child sexual abuse and sentenced to 25 to life in federal prison. He was a serial abuser and found to have four more victims in the neighborhood and one in New Hampshire.

Since then, Safi had to temporarily leave medical school to take care of the boys. She planned to return after all the legal matters with the boys concluded. For now, she was a work from home caregiver.

"Mmm delicious. My compliments to the chef!" Eman kissed her cheek.

"Come on Aaron! Come sit down," she giggled at Eman's comment.

Aaron ran up to the table and sat quickly. He was making progress with his therapies, but still had some ways to go. His muteness improved greatly, but he was only speaking a few sentences to Safi and the therapist. The hope is that when he starts kindergarten in the fall, being around kids his age will help.

"So Aaron, how about we go to the children's museum today? I heard they built a new construction site exhibit," Eman said before taking a bite of his breakfast.

Aaron nodded, chewing his food quietly.

Safi couldn't help but smile at her situation. Never in her life did she think her life would end up like this. Two kids and a boyfriend.

Life was good.

——————-

"It's great to have you back Safi. Let's get these clinicals over so I can call you Dr. Simba alright?" Dr. Motts chuckled as Safi began her rounds with her mentor. Things had finally calmed down regarding the boys, so Safi was able to go back to medical school and finish her clinicals.

"We've got some routine check ups to do, but I need you to first head up to the psychiatry ward and get some files from the nurse up there. I asked her for them over an hour ago, but I guess things must have gotten busy again."

Safi nodded and made her way to the elevator. She felt her phone buzz in her pocket, but knew she couldn't check it until she got into the elevator.

The elevator doors opened and without looking she entered, quickly reaching into her pocket for her phone.

Hey babe. Where you at? Want to grab lunch later? -Eman

Heading up to your floor for some files. Lunch sounds good!
-Safi

The elevator door opened and Safi jogged out and around the corner.

Everything slowed as she felt herself fall. Somebody's arm caught her by the waist. She looked up, a surgical light bright in her face.

It was promptly turned and she saw Eman's face.

"We gotta stop running into each other like this."

A/N:
That's it! That completes book 1 of The Anatomy series! A preview of the next book in the trilogy The Anatomy of Me will come out in a few weeks under this book, so be on the look out! Happy reading Rayne Drops!