46 -- A Proactive Man

From the moment Durst arrived at work he stared at the monitors, waiting for the janitors to leave. When they were gone he roved the third floor, locking every door he came across. Checked each for life before turning the key. Next, he locked the doors from the East and West stairs before jogging to the basement to de-activate the elevator's ability to stop on the third floor.

"It'll have to do," Durst muttered before returning to the cameras.

Other staff members would start arriving soon for their stupid little party. They'd be in the breakroom mostly. Drinking and eating and chatting and hopefully wouldn't stay long. Hopefully they would be safe with the epicenter completely sealed. There wouldn't really be any good reason anyone should want to enter it anyway, save for the balcony that overlooked the Grand Hall. They could live without that, Godric decided.

Soon he found himself standing in the empty room that contained a secret passage. Communication with the dead led him to believe that Sotor the second's bones now lay in the fourth basement, and if the book was to be believed, then having it accessible might not be the worst idea he'd ever had. Perhaps he'd keep in it his car for the night, which was where the fingerbone rested.

But it was going to tight all the way down and from the second he entered he'd be fighting panic. He might not make it. What if he got stuck? What if he got lost?

"Just one more breath and you'll do it..." Godric assured himself. Glanced at his watch—it was almost seven.

"Come on!" he scolded himself. "Do it!"

-------------------------

279 words.

IWJKeller.com