25 -- Minor Disasters

Godric Durst awoke from a dreamless afternoon sleep by the ringing of his phone which brought bad news—he was being called into work that night because Robbie had quit his job and Steve was taking some time off. More than that, the police would be awaiting him at the museum to ask questions. Oh and there's been a fire the night before too.

"I know," said Durst.

"What?" said David MacLeod.

"I saw it."

"You were at the museum last night?"

"Wait, what?"

"Explain yourself lad. Were you at the museum?"

"No! I thought you meant the fire in the woods. I was out there—star gazing—I saw the fire. There was a fire at the museum too?"

"Yes," said MacLeod, "No serious damage, however. And in fact, I'm not convinced the reports are accurate. I... Shouldn't go into it now," he paused—the first time Durst had ever heard him be in the least indecisive. "I don't know honestly. Cameras were down and there seemed to be a lot panicking when I was called in. Robbie's story kept changing as to whether he'd been alone or not, as he at first acted like he wasn't, but then no one else was found in the museum and he was clearly becoming over-wrought. Uh, no actual damage from the fire though—or any sign it ever occurred at all," he muttered, "And yet they insist it happened."

"How can there be no damage?"

"The alarm was triggered because the fire door was opened—no smoke—and all accounts said the flames were blue. Even from the firemen—but maybe it was something else. Because no real damage from it either, even at the epicentre. The firemen did more damage making sure it hadn't spread, actually."

"Blue?" said Durst.

"Yes. It's being investigated—don't worry about it—it's extinguished and not your responsibility. Be here at seven. You'll get time-and-half."

"Okay—but the fire I also saw..."

"What?" barked MacLeod—another muffled voice talking on his end of the line.

"Is the fire why the police are there?" said Godric after things quieted.

"That matter is confidential for now," MacLeod snapped.

Two police cars were at the museum when Durst arrived. One of the officers was busy loading a large plastic case into the back. Another waited at the door and did not oppose Godric's entry.

When he entered the staff hallway on four he heard various voices drifting from the break room. One of which was Ada's. He squinted—was she being interrogated?

"He will be sought for questioning," said an unknown voice. "Nothing more for now."

"But he put those things there," insisted Ada—her voice had become hoarse and thick. "He's been stealing from the museum too. I know it!"

"You must understand Ms. Galli," said the voice, "That although certainly incriminating there were no fingerprints on any of these objects we removed from the basement—nor was there any evidence of his presence there beyond what you told us. We do believe you that he's passed through before—that is why he will be questioned—but for now we have no evidence beyond that, and that's circumstantial. We'll speak to your colleagues as well—see if they've ever seen anything strange. Beyond that, you must trust we are doing what we can."

"Cazzata," she muttered.

"What?" came the gruff response, and Ada said nothing more.

Godric was briefly questioned after this, and he related what little relevant info he could regarding Steve. This did not amount to much, at first, but as he was speaking a spider crawled into his mind.