"It's not the food." Calm, he backed away, glad when she followed, away from where Kai slept in the backseat. "It's you."

"What does that mean!"

"Vera...I told you earlier you wouldn't understand, that you wouldn't believe me. You won't, but I'll tell you anyway. It's 2591. Everyone and everything you knew is long gone. You are not Vera Wagner, you're a series five Echo class prototype android. I'm Greer Rhaner, and I bought the storage unit you were hidden in for three hundred years."

"That's ridiculous! How stupid do you think I am?"

"You're not stupid...you're malfunctioning. I can't explain why. Tech like you has been contraband for centuries. I don't know much about robotics."

"I am flesh and bone, not a robot!"

He slapped her. Hard. Fire rippled through the bones in his hand as she dropped with a cry. Grabbing her shoulder, he blocked her hand when she struck out at him, writhing like a demon.

"Hold it! Calm down!"

"I won't let you beat me!"

"Stop it! Will you just wait a second?" Snagging both wrists, he forced her to stand in front of him, her features taut with rage. "Just stop for a minute. Do you actually feel pain in your face right now? It's twice I've hit you, same cheek, really hard, you should be sore. Are you?"

"Well of course-! I," stopping suddenly, Vera's mouth opened then abruptly shut again, her expression confused. "I...no, I...don't feel any pain."

"I'm going to let go now. Just touch your cheek. If what I've said is false, it will hurt, and you'll feel swelling. Do you?"

Once free, she lifted a hand to her face, gingerly testing the smooth skin in confusion.

"There's nothing."

"Because you're not really Vera Wagner." He slowed down, enunciating each word. "You're an Echo class android."

"How...I mean, what- why?" Abruptly frightened, her eyes went very large, filling with tears. "I don't understand. I...I am Vera Wagner."

"No...somehow you've been programmed to think you're her, but you're not."

"I...but, what...I mean, who-?"

Shaking his head, Greer watched an android struggling with the truth of its own existence. Despite the danger of their circumstances, it was fascinating. She looked at him.

"Let's pretend that I believe you... who am I?"

"I have no idea what you're meant to be, only a little about what you are."

"And?"

"You won't like it."

"That's an massive understatement. "

"You are a malfunctioning android prototype,  who occasionally believes herself Vera Wagner."

"It still sounds utterly ridiculous."

He threw up his hands in abrupt frustration.

"Then why did you ask!"

"Because I wanted a different answer! One that makes sense!"

"Okay, I'm done trying to convince you.  Let's go."

"No," wrapping her arms tightly around her waist,  Vera backed away. "I don't want to go with you."

"I'm not just leaving you alone out here. Come on."

"No! So unless you actually intend to abduct me, go away!"