Chapter 38

Dedicated Chapter Song: Falling - Trevor Daniel

My last made me feel like I would never try again
But when I saw you, I felt something I never felt
Come closer, I'll give you all my love
If you treat me right, baby, I'll give you everything

My last made me feel like I would never try againBut when I saw you, I felt something I never feltCome closer, I'll give you all my loveIf you treat me right, baby, I'll give you everything

Thump. Thump. Thump.

"ANNA!" Cullen screamed. Anna didn't hesitate and launched herself into the air, flipping up onto the rooftop. Levi called for her and ordered her to stay down on the ground, but she couldn't. Not when Cullen was in danger. "Cullen!" she gasped upon seeing he was backed up against the roof of a building, a strange titan reaching out for him. It didn't seem like it wanted to eat him, however.

Anna used more gas in her gear to get to him faster, whipping out more blades to kill the Titan if necessary. "Cullen! I'm here!" she landed and glared at the Titan. "Get away from him, you filth!" she spat. Levi, Petra, Erwin and Hanji were on close on her heels. "Hanji, take it down." Erwin commanded. Hanji laughed happily. "Yes, sir!"

      When staring into the Titan's eyes she recognized something familiar. This was no ordinary Titan. "NO! WAIT! STOP!" she frantically waved her arms. "It's not a Titan!" Hanji landed on the monster's head. "What do you mean it's not a Titan?"

     Levi landed near Anna. "What's the hold up?" he demanded. Anna put her blades back into her gear. "What are you doing, Urrie?" Levi hissed. "Anna...are you crazy?" Cullen breathed. Taking a step closer to the creature, Anna placed her hand on it's face.

"A... A... " the creature tried to speak. Hanji's eyes lit up in excitement. "It can talk?!" Levi stared in horror. "A... Anna... " it said. Anna's eyes widened. "That voice... no... There's no way." Cullen walked closer to her. "It can't be... "

      The monster turned its attention to Cullen, reaching out and gently grabbing him. Levi went to advance, but Anna stopped him. "C... Cull... Cullen... " the monster spoke, bringing Cullen close to their face.

And when Anna paid close attention she saw it was herself. Not on the rooftop, but as the Titan, grabbing Cullen in her fist and pulling him into her mouth, slamming her teeth down on his neck, letting his head roll. But it wasn't Cullen's head this time; it was Levi's.

"NO!" shrieked Anna as she returned to the present, in that cold and dank cell with that dying spider up in the corner. Her heart thumped at a pace beyond what was healthy, and she gulped, trying to clear the pouring tears from her eyes. "Shit," she ran her filthy hands through her tangled and greased up hair. It had been far too long since she'd had a bath, or even a meal at this rate.

It's as though the military police- or whomever was keeping her captive- knew that she would not starve to death. Though the thought of Levi hurt her more than the thought of starving to death. In this cold, underground cell there was no concept of time. No regularly scheduled mealtimes; no sunlight; no guard shift changes up above to take note of. Nothing. It was as though she was entirely forgotten about.