Chapter 35

Dedicated Chapter Song: Despicable - grandson

The goodbye is the hardest part. When we find ourselves back at the start. But I'm not so brave, and I'm not so smart
No, I'm doing you a favor. Doing you a favor. One day you will understand.
Why I pushed you away as I am.
(Anna)

“Anna,” Hanji spoke, slowly, as she warily approached the bandaged woman

“Anna,” Hanji spoke, slowly, as she warily approached the bandaged woman. “You know... I have to arrest you, right?”

“Do it later.” Anna hissed. “The future of our friends— of the world, rests on your ability to keep a secret. I'm trusting you, Hanji. Like I always have.”

“Does Zeke know who you really are?”

“...yeah. Kinda. We agreed to fake a marriage between us and have these two go under the Jaeger name to keep them safe. Sadly, that being said, they were forced into the Military at a young age. I swear... I'm going to make every single Marleyan bleed for that.”

“Mom,” Valentina glances to her side. “We're Marleyan. Dad is half-Marleyan and Uncle Cayden is—”

“Yes, V, I know,” Anna sighed in exasperation. “You get my point.”

“Wait..." Aurora stares out the window. “Zeke... he's down. Daddy took him down but...that was way too quick. Zeke never holds back like that.”

“That's because Zeke is playing the Marleyans.” Anna explained simply. “Look closely, and you'll see him escape with your father. It was part of the plan he told me of. Though...I can't promise he won't try to betray us,” Anna stretched her shoulders. “And don't trust Eren.”

“Eren? How do you know about what's happening with him—”

“Just trust that I do and don't ask anymore questions.”

“Just one more." Hanji insists, aiming her gun towards Anna. “How is it you're alive? You were ten seconds away from death the last time any of us saw you.”

With a sigh, Anna motioned her children to come to her. “I don't really know. The second Hysteria died...it was like nothing had changed. My powers...” she rubbed her hands together. “They all came back.”

“That's funny. Your brother and Ruby gained new powers the same time. I wonder...”

Their thoughts were cut off by their comrades climbing aboard the blimp. “Damn you, Eren!” Ruby spat as she threw her gear off and tossed it into a corner. Armin was beside her in a second, his Titan marks strewn down his face.

'That's right...' Anna reminded herself. 'Armin's the Colossal Titan now.'

“At least everything went according to plan...” Armin was much different. His hair was cut in an undercut and he seemed way more gloomy than before. Ruby grabbed at her hair in anger. “The plan was not to kill innocent beings! This is all that damn Zeke's fault! God fucking—” she paced angrily. “That's it. I'm gonna kill him. Yeah. I'm gonna kill Zeke.”