Chapter 20

Dedicated Chapter Song: Mama - My Chemical Romance

Mama, we all go to hell. Oh well, now, Mama, we're all gonna die. Mama, we're all gonna die. Stop asking me questions, I'd hate to see you cry. Mama, we're all gonna die. And when we go, don't blame us, yeah. We'll let the fires just bathe us, yeah.
(The Survey Corps)

Shinganshina.

Oh, how it looked all the same as it did when Anna was there last. Still rotten. Still decrepit. And very, very suspicious. It was quiet; too quiet.

“ALL TROOPS! SWITCH TO VERTICAL MANEUVERING!”

Anna revved the engine in her gear and launched herself onto the inner Wall. Levi was practically at her hip as the two ran up the side together.

The enemy's goals would be to capture Eren, Anna thought to herself. If the enemy we're facing isn't Hysteria. We don't know if they're aware that he now has the ability to reseal the wall. But if they know we're here, they probably assume we have some way to seal it. They've likely figured out that we'll try to repair the outer gate.

After all, the importance of Eren's basement is already known to our enemies. Even to Hysteria. Whatever's in there reveals the truth about her. They'll guess that Eren will be at the outer gate when it's sealed. But they haven't guessed...

Anna pulled the hood of her cloak down, watching as one by one, cadet after cadet did the same.

That we'll have a hundred soldiers hiding their faces with their hoods, heading for the outer gate at the same time!

By the time they know which of us is Eren...the gate will already be sealed.

Eren lifted himself onto the Wall along with most everyone else, paused and observed a rocking horse down in the rubble of a smashed building. “Don't stop!” Levi yelled at him. “Get to the outer gate!”

“Ah!” Eren exclaimed. “Yes, sir!”

Ruby kept her eyes peeled as she was flying beside Armin. “...unh?!” she picked up a strange thermo reading. “The Wall is still warm here...”

“Look!” Armin pointed below them. “Ashes from a campfire! They must've rushed down the Wall!”

“They're around here somewhere," Ruby said, fixing her eyes to look for heat signatures. “Craaaap.... Everything here is fluctuating. I can't get a steady reading.”

“Commander!” Armin shouted, readying up a smoke signal.

“Bertolt...” Ruby whispered. “...and Reiner...” her eyes widened all of a sudden at a certain building a few meters from her. “...My home. It's right there.” it was still in perfect condition aside from a bit of a broken roof. “That's the place where...I was still innocent...where I didn't care about the war...” her eyes shifted back to their emerald green. Anger. That's all she could feel.