Chapter 4

Dedicated Chapter Song: Save Myself From Me - New Year's Day

I'm a hostage inside my mind. No negotiations, no one gets out alive.
I'm a prisoner inside my mind. There is no release, I've lost the Skeleton Key. There's no escape I'll find a way. Betrayed by hope and cursed by fate.
Got one last chance, and now I'm not afraid to save myself from me.
(Anna)

“Where the hell is she?” Levi winced while his wounds were being tended to by Sasha

“Where the hell is she?” Levi winced while his wounds were being tended to by Sasha. The remaining members of the Survey Corps— Not including Hanji, who managed to escape elsewhere— were all shacked up in an old abandoned barn just outside of Wall Sina. Though it wasn't perfect, it was somewhere to hide for the meanwhile. Anna had been missing in action for far too long now and everyone was growing worried.

“You don't think she ran into any trouble, did you?” Connie spoke up. “Knowing Anna,” Armin quietly chimed in. “That's exactly what she'd be looking for.”

“Why did they take Krista, though?” Jean questioned aloud. “I understand Eren and Ruby being kidnapped but Krista? Of all people it just doesn't make sense—”

“It does make sense.” Levi sharply cut in. “The Reiss family is quite powerful if Historia manages to take her title back. But... There's speculation that that title belongs to Anna in reality.”

“Wait, so,” Sasha blinked, unraveling another roll of gauzes to patch up his side. “Historia is the real Queen buuuut...Anna is the real, real Queen?” she tried to sum up everything they'd talked about in the past few hours.

“It's a complicated situation,” their Captain murmured. “So if Anna is Queen,” Jean drawled. “That makes you the King, doesn't it? At least, of course, once she's crowned.” Levi's silver eyes flashed. “Yeah, it would.”

“Greeeeat,” Connie muttered. “This whole kingdom will be spotless with Levi on the throne calling all the shots.” he joked. “Watch it,” Levi warned. “There you go, Captain. All patched up.” Sasha said and Levi looked down to see the bandages neatly wrapped around his torso and his leg. “Not bad, Brauss.”

“So, are we just supposed to wait here until Anna gets back?” Mikasa coldly asked. “How do we expect her to even find us?”

“W-Well, if she manages to rescue Ruby, she'd have the best tracker in the world with her.” Armin piped in. “That is...if they're all okay.”

“Of course they're okay, Armin.” Jean consoled the blond boy with a gentle pat on the back. “You know,” Armin slowly raised his head. “There has been something on my mind that's been striking me as rather odd. It has to do with Rose.” he lowered his voice just the slightest when he saw Jean react at her name.

“Well then, speak up, Arlert.” Levi crossed his arms.

“It makes no sense, you see. Why was she all of a sudden coughing up blood? Rosaline was in excellent health as far as every test Commander Hanji had executed on her. So...why did she sacrifice herself so Ruby could obtain her power? I refuse to believe it was out of fear and cowardice like some of others do.” he sighed.