Chapter 35: The Pains of a Broken Heart

Start from the beginning

“Yes, he is quite the looker,” a smooth voice came from behind the Scout. Whirling around, Ytone found herself staring into a pair of glowing purple eyes.

Muffling a shriek as she stumbled back, Ytone tried to regain her composure and asked in whisper, “W-who are you?”

A beautiful fay stepped forward, out of the shadows of the armory. “Call me Bellada,” she said in a sweet voice. When Ytone’s eyes widened, the fay quickly said, “You have no reason to fear me, child.”

No reason to fear her?! Ytone had heard the stories of the strange girl and according to terrified soldiers there was no reason not to fear her! They claimed that she as a demoness sent from the Night Goddess to kill them all. Normally the Scout was not a suspicious woman, but she would make an acceptation for this freak of nature. “Child?” she couldn’t help but bark out. “I’m older than you.”

“Physically, yes,” Bellada smiled a strange smile. “But mentally I am older than the oldest of elves. But back to you. That man, is he your lover?”

Spluttering, Ytone managed to give an answer that vaguely sounded like ‘no’.

The fay’s lips curled up into a smile that did not reach her violet eyes. “Perhaps I will have to take him for myself then,” she said quietly. “He is quite handsome. Broad shoulders, bright eyes, a kind heart, he is everything a girl could want in a man. Utterly devoted to his King, too. I could not see him ever leaving the castle.” The fay let out a low laugh as she saw other woman’s jaw clench.

Ytone knew exactly what that little piece of filth was doing. She was trying to tell her that Rith would never give up his position as a commander for her. She would have to choose between her home in the mountains or staying in the castle.

“What does it matter to me?” Ytone snapped. “You can have him for all I care. He is a loyal idiot who would follow the King anywhere, even to his death. Once I can fight I will leave this One forsaken castle and return to the mountains where I belong.”

Bellada let out a small, sad laugh. “But will they even accept you?” she asked in a gentle tone. “A cripple? What could you possibly have to offer such an ancient line of warriors?”

“Leave, Bellada,” a strong voice from behind her prompted Ytone to whirl around. Standing in the doorway was a now clothed Rith, glaring down at the fay with a furious gaze.

Gathering her skirts about her, she walked towards the door, only stopping to whisper almost kindly in Ytone ear, “You think he’ll ever love you? What makes you any different from the other girls in love with the strong, handsome hero? At least they hold some beauty, some feminine charm. But you? You’re nothing; only a thorn in the man you love’s side. What have you done but slow him down? I am trying to help you. Leave. The only thing that awaits you here is heartbreak.”

With those words, she glided out, leaving a distressed and confused Ytone in her wake.

Instantly, Rith was at her side. “Hey, are you ok?” he asked, concern lacing his voice.

Numbly, Ytone nodded, her eyes not meeting his. “I’m fine,” was all she could mutter, hating how broken her voice sounded.

The Scout could almost feel the fury radiating off of Rith. “What did she say?” he demanded. “I swear, I’ll-“

“Rith, seriously. I’m fine,” she repeated, trying to sound a bit stronger. A hand grasped her chin and lifted her face so she was looking into Rith’s bright blue eyes.

He searched her face for a while before saying, “You know everything she says is a lie, right? People like that take pleasure in messing with your mind. Don’t believe anything she says. I heard from sources that she was particularly interested in you.”

That felt like a smack to the face. He had people watching Bellada. He cared about what Bellada was doing. The Scout’s greatest fears had been confirmed. Even if Bellada was only trying to mess with Ytone’s head when she said that she would take Rith for herself, it seemed as though Rith had already fallen into her grasp.

It took all Ytone’s strength not to run away right there. Why was he so kind to her? She now missed the time when he did not hide his disdain for her behind a mask of compassion. “I…” her voice broke. “I just want to go to bed.”

Uncertainly, Rith nodded and let her go.

She was able to keep the tears in until she reached her room. Then she could not stop them.

It was foolish of her to think that Rith would ever love her. He was just like Celthric, and she would only bring him ruin.

            She would ask for permission to go home the next morning.

(A/N Sorry guys!! Short chapter, long wait, probably not what you were looking for…I feel guilty now. I’m not quite sure how I fee about how Bellada came off in this chapter. She was supposed to be a bit more manipulative and evil and less of a mean teenage girl. I don’t know, maybe I’ll re-write this later. Anyway, sorry for the wait but my life has been super busy [isn’t that everyone’s excuse nowadays XD ]. Anywho, you guys should really VOTE AND COMMENT on this chapter because tomorrow is MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!! I decided that I would give myself time to write as a birthday present so yippee!! Anywho, that’s about all I got. Please, if you get the chance, read Sola Incendium by Becka Grey. It is a great book and she just updated!! Yippee!! :) Ok, so that's really all I got.

~*~*~Ninja Out ~*~*~ )