Chapter 20: Conspiracies, Escape and a Few Hitchhikers

Chapter 20

Conspiracies, Escape and a Few Hitchhikers

Laughter filled the air, and light lit the huge hall. An immense banquet had been set up in Dearekk and her honor, in honor of the return of Ventar.  However, it seemed that behind every friendly face, there was a hidden storage of bitterness and rage. The fay were angry. They were angry that Ventar had chosen another race, that it had abandoned them. Dearekk had told only her that he was its “Blade-bearer.” He said that if anyone else knew, it would only heighten tensions between the fay and the elves. So here she was, sitting alone at a table, trying to blend in and remember everything that Dearekk told her.

Looking down at her hands, she let her thoughts wander to Dearekk. He was…different. There was something about him, something that made him a great leader; she had never seen anyone speak like he did. It was almost as if he had something else guiding him. Dearekk was strong, handsome, and intelligent. But no matter what, she couldn’t completely bring herself to trust him. Deep down, she still could not forgive him for his part in the death of Molko. And it didn’t help that she felt he was always hiding something from her.

Looking up from her hands, she almost let out a shriek as she noticed the bright purple eyes staring back at her. A fay boy with dark hair was standing in front of her. His dragonfly wings were a grayish-blue color, like the ocean on a foggy day and he was taller than most fay, making him about Sonya’s height. To be honest, Sonya never really thought that a boy could be described as beautiful, but that was the only word that came to her mind.

“Hello,” the fay boy smirked, “May I have this dance?”

Astonished, all Sonya could do was nod. The boy grabbed her hand and pulled her to her feet, catching her off guard. “I’m warning you,” Sonya confessed. “I’m not very coordinated.”

He laughed, a bell-like sound ringing throughout the room. “That’s ok,” he said with a wink, “I’ll keep you on your feet. My name is Zabin, by the way.”

“Zabin,” Sonya whispered softly to her self, then said in a louder voice, “I’m-“

“Sonya,” the fay interrupted. He grinned, “Sorry, but everyone here has heard of you.” He leaned in close,  “And you’re kind of the only girl here without wings.”

A short laugh burst forth from Sonya’s chest and Zabin pulled her towards the dance floor, where fay swirled and danced like a rainbow ocean. Before she knew it, Zabin was leading, making her move on instinct with the music. When the song was finally over, she was breathless from the combination of dancing and laughing.

Another fay, one with a light blue dress walked over to them, a friendly smile on her face. “Hello,” she said in a motherly tone, “I am Duchess Achlys. Tell me, what was it like to see Ventar first hand?”

“Well, actually I-“ Sonya had barely gotten the words out when Zabin cut her off.

Grabbing her arm, he began to guide her away. “Sonya, I do believe that Princess Nyx is calling you,” he spoke through clenched teeth while practically dragging her away.

When they reached the punch bowl, Sonya managed to break out of his iron grasp. “What’s your problem?” she hissed. “She was just asking a question!”

Zabin rolled his eyes. “Just asking a question,” he muttered back. “Sonya, are you blind? If you had noticed anything you would have known that the whole night that fay has been trying to kill you with her eyes!”