Chapter 16: The Emperor

Chapter 16

The Emperor

Dearekk ran through the corridors, buttoning up his bright green garment as he went. He was late. He was late for the One forsaken meeting with the Emperor of the fay. After his encounter with Sonya, he had gone back to his room only to be plagued by more nightmares. To top all that off, he had slept late, not realizing that he needed to meet with one of the most powerful leaders in the land.

And he sure couldn't let Sonya do the talking. That girl was like a political time bomb, always saying the worst things at the worst moments.

When he arrived at a pair of immense oak doors, he noticed that Sonya was already there.

"What took you so long?" she hissed under her breath.

Not wanting to tell her about his dreams, he simply replied, "I'm here aren't I?" As the doors opened, Dearekk forced a smile at all the fay dressed like nobles. Leaning over he whispered to Sonya, "Remember, it's all just an act, like a play. Pretend to be happy and let me do the talking."

Sonya nodded once, took a deep breath, and let Dearekk drag her through the staring courtiers. There were so many of them. Everywhere he looked, Dearekk saw bright colors, flashing jewelry and even some colorful pets. Whispers carried across the halls as a mix of approving stares and angry glances rained down on them.

When they finally reached the end, Dearekk saw the Fay Emperor sitting on a throne. He was like a great lion, surveying his kingdom. His purple robes had gold trim and patters of golden vines crawling up the side. On his head rested a gold crown with jewels of amethyst, diamonds and rubies. A young girl in a blue dress and a silver tiara stood at his side. Her features would have been beautiful had there not been an arrogant expression on her face. Untamed aqua hair cascaded down her back and her iridescent dragonfly wings glimmered in the sunlight.

When the Emperor spoke, the whole room fell silent, hanging on every word that he said. "Welcome to Summerwell Court. I am the Emperor of Imperia and this is my daughter, Princess Nyx," his voice was fatherly as he gestured to the girl next to him. She had a haughty look in her lilac eyes as she gazed down at them. "We hope this is a beginning of many visits of your kind. But tell me this: how did two people so untrusting of each other stumble into a tunnel that tests their love?"

"How did you know that we were in there?" Sonya blurted out. Dearekk shot her a glare. How stupid could this girl be? She had no negotiating skills whatsoever. None!

The Emperor looked her like a cat would look at a mouse, but this just made her stand taller under his gaze.

"You are not the only one the shape-shifters converse with."

Dearekk stepped forward before a furious Sonya could respond. "Our story is not quite a short one, so I suggest you make yourself comfortable." Then he told them everything.

Well, almost everything.

He told them of the King's reign, of the Elf Hunts, of meeting Sonya and of the shattered sword that tried to take the life of the King. But he did not tell them of his dreams or of the word that was on the cave's wall. He was also intentionally vague about their traveling with the Guardian. When he finished his story, he suddenly realized that almost everyone in the room was dead silent, all gazing at him in awe. Even the proud princess seemed impressed.

"We cannot do this alone!" Dearekk spoke, "The King and his men are too strong. Years of resistance alone have done nothingto weaken him." He knelt and finished with a passion in his voice that surprised even himself. "We must join together if we ever wish to walk in the sunlight free."