Chapter 29: Less Than Warm Welcomes

Chapter 29

Less Than Warm Welcomes

By the time Dearekk and Sonya arrived on the island, they were soaked to the bone. There was not an inch of them that was in any way dry.

The Seer and Nyx, however, had flown ahead of them, not a drop of water on the two fay, and landed in the city a while ago. When Sonya hauled herself out of the water, she saw their companions waiting for them.

“What took you so long?” the Seer asked in a bored tone. He was hovering a few inches above the ground and just barely dodged out of the way as Dearekk splashed water at him.

“Stupid fay,” Sonya heard the half-elf mutter under his breath as the Seer glared darkly at him. Nyx didn’t look too happy either.

The fay princess shot Dearekk a look that clearly said, “Shut up,” before turning to Sonya. “We already met with the dwarves and they agreed to let us into the city. Don’t mess anything up.” She looked at Sonya and Dearekk as if they were naughty children that she didn’t trust.

“Whatever,” Sonya muttered, wringing out her raven hair. A large puddle of water was growing around both Dearekk and herself and she couldn’t wait to get a pair of dry clothes on. Without waiting for the others, she turned and strode towards the Earthen Citadel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Cretinia was buzzing. Everywhere Sonya looked dwarves shuffled about, running from shop to shop, and home to home. Wherever the companions went, heads turned and eyes stared at them. Soon a small crowd of followers trailed after them, trying to look inconspicuous.

            It was not long until an obsidian gate blocked their way. Gold laced its edges and created beautiful images of battles and victories. Sonya found herself inexplicably drawn to the pictures and their story. 

It was a story of betrayal. A brave race stepped forward to save another kind in a time of need. But they were repaid by having their lands stolen, plundered, and overthrown. The golden story brought tears to Sonya’s eyes and planted a sort of rage in her heart, a rage that demanded justice.

A shout startled Sonya out of her thoughts. The unintelligible voices of guards came from above the gate. They sounded like they were arguing, shouting, and cursing at each other.

Confused, Sonya turned to Nyx and the Seer. “What’s going on?” she asked, but the two fay seemed just as confused as she was.

Suddenly the voices became silent and a woman’s interrupted. There was some yelling, and soon the huge gate was opened. Walking through, Sonya noticed a dwarf girl walking towards them.

What struck Sonya was the dwarf’s hair. It was wild mane of crimson locks, held only in place by a golden band around her head. She wore a white top and a white skirt that ended at just above her knees. At her side, she carried a wooden staff that was tipped with gold that could be used for walking or for fighting.

“I am Risal, Mouth of the Stone and Cleric of the One Who Created All,” her voice was proud and strong. You are the first to find our citadel in over two hundred years, foreigners. You are lucky to have gotten this far. Speak quickly or we will ensure that you never reach the Upworld with our secret.”

Dearekk dropped to one knee. “We seek allies in a war against a king who wishes to destroy everything. Without-“

He was cut off as Risal raised her hand “My people have no wish to intervene in problems that do not directly involve them,” she stated with contempt. “The Upworld will taste the consequences of their actions. We have no wish to be saviors for an unthankful land.”

If the situation had not been so serious, Sonya would have laughed at the expression on Dearekk’s face. He looked as if someone had just told him that the King had grown wings and flew across the mountains. A mixture of shock and disbelief covered his features as he gazed at the dwarf, dumb with shock.

“So you will not even listen to our story?” he asked incredulously. “We dodged a thousand traps in your stupid Maze of Death, fell down who knows how many feet into a giant lake, and you won’t even have an audience with us?” His tone was on the line between panic and anger, hosting a bit of both.

Risal didn’t even look at him. “A mage will be waiting for to. She will remove the memory of Cretinia from your minds. You will not remember you were ever here,” she replied stiffly.

This time the Seer stepped forward. “I will not have my memory erased by an amateur magician,” he snarled, a feral expression on his face.

“You do not have a choice,” Risal spat back, looking him over with something like jealousy. “It is the law here.”

The Seer took another step forward so he was towering over the dwarf. “There are some things in my mind that should not be touched, girl,” he roared, his voice seemed to shake the ground. The grey blindfold around his eyes began to glow white. “The Knowledge is not something to be taken lightly!”

Risal looked furious. She opened her mouth to respond, hatred burning behind her eyes, but was interrupted when Nyx stepped forward.

“Please,” the princess pleaded, “will you just appeal our case to the council? We were assured that we would have a place to stay for at least three days…” Sonya could tell that Nyx was trying to push down her pride for the good of them all.

For a while, the dwarf cleric just stood there, looking them over. She seemed to study each and every one of them, disgust passing over her face when she looked at Dearekk. “Very well,” she spat out. “But the half-elf must stay outside the city.”

A rage boiled up in Sonya. Who were these people to judge her…friend? Was that what they were: friends? When did she stop hating the older boy? When did she forget that he killed Molko? But then again, he didn’t actually kill Molko…did he?

Shaking herself out of her conflicted thoughts, Sonya stepped forward. “Where ever he stays, I stay,” she said firmly. “We are equals.”

Sonya didn’t have to look at Dearekk to see his gratitude. The almost inaudible sigh of relief that came from him was enough for her.

Quickly following her was Nyx. “We are equals also,” she said. When the Seer didn’t say anything, the fay princess quickly continued, “I speak for myself and my brother.”

Risal continued staring at the Seer and he seemed to almost be staring back, challenging her. The dwarf’s brown eyes were filled with fury and jealousy.

“Very well,” Risal spat out, venom lacing her voice, “I will have a place prepared for you outside the city. Until then, try not to cause trouble in our citadel. I can only protect you so much.” As if she couldn’t wait to leave, the cleric whirled around and strode away.

The Seer was furious. “Oh, so she’s protecting us,” he seethed. “I see, protecting people now involves erasing their memories and tampering with all the others!” The glow around his blindfold had dimmed considerably, but he was still furious.

“Brother,” Nyx said resignedly, “we should leave; go to our quarters. I think it would be best for us all to sleep.”

For the first time, Sonya found herself agreeing whole heartedly with the fay princess.

(A/N Hi guys! Sorry for the ridiculously late update. :P What can I say? I've been busy/lazy.  Anyway, remember to vote and comment PLEASE!!!!!! I love them and to be honest, they make me update faster. :] Yeah, so show Sonya and Dearekk some love and vote, comment, fan, promote, or just do ANYTHING. Both my characters and I love feedback!!)