16- Late for Class

"Please ma'am, isn't there any other class I can take besides art?"

"Sorry, Alex, all the other classes are full. Unless you want to take another language?" my counselor spoke. She was typing away at her computer and looking at my schedule. Vic had literally screwed me over with this class and now I'm going to be stuck in it, barely passing, all year long.

She handed me back my paper and I got up, I slung my bag over my shoulder and suddenly the door slammed open. "Miss, please I can't do art!" Someone came in with a panicked look. I recognized Jack from the moment he said "Miss,"

We made eye contact for a split second before our counselor spoke again, "Just like I told Alex here, no other classes are available for your first period. Unless you want to change your schedules completely."

Jack deflated, but then he looked at me. "I'll stick with art if Alex sticks with art. Maybe we can fail this class together," he said, giving me a small smile. I couldn't help but smile back.

Feeling like the awkwardness from the past couple of weeks had just dissolved. We never kissed each other. We never talked past 4 am on week days. We never laughed over bands we liked. He never played his guitar for me. I never talked about the stars to him. We never saw each other at the public pool. His mom never babysat me. 

We just saw each other for the fire the first time during that moment.

I nodded towards my counselor, "I'll stick with art."

After that, Jack and Alex were late for class. They didn't really care because they were already getting excited for the school year ahead of them. And they'll go through it together.