6- Just In Case

The blinding light of the sun peeked through my window. I groaned and turned on my back. I just want to sleep. I want to close my eyes and not worry about a single thing...

Buzz

"Fuck." I grabbed my phone sitting on my nightstand and looked through all my notifications. I was quite let down by the fact Jack hadn't texted me but I guess that's fine. I saw a text from one of my friends, Vic.

I dialed his number to see what he wanted. The phone rang three times and finally, there was a click.

"Hey, this is Vic!" He chirped. I laughed at his over-enthusiastic attitude. "Hey it's Alex, I saw that you texted me but to be honest I didn't read it," I said, getting up from the amazing comfort of my bed.

"Oh Alex! The guys and I are heading to the pool and I uh..." he started to stutter.

I stopped halfway of putting on my shirt, "Vic? You okay?" I asked. Vic never stutters, never. Even during presentations during school, he can just go on and on. "Vic?" I asked, now becoming slightly worried by his unnatural silence.

"I may have......" he mumbled off. I rolled my eyes, "Vic, you're scaring me. Stop it"

"I may have... met someone" he said quietly enough for me to hear. I nodded, "Okay, and?" I said, now continuing to put on my shirt.

"I really... I uh really like them... and I uh..."

Suddenly it all clicked into place. "Vic... did you get a girlfriend?" I asked. I felt a welt if pride in my chest. He always made jokes about being single forever and how he's going to be a crazy cat lady-

"I- I got a boyfriend Alex," he said atlas. I was quiet for a minute, registering what he just said. He has a boyfriend? "Alex? You still there?" He asked. "I didn't know you were gay," I said.

"I didn't know I was gay until I met him and I really want you to meet him as well," he said, I could tell he was smiling through the phone.

"I'd love to meet him-" I said until I immediately got cut off. "Alex, can you come to the neighborhood pool at twelve today? He's bringing his friends and you're the first person I thought of to invite. So please please please will you come?"

I laughed quietly, it was adorable to hear him all flustered. "Yeah I'll be there," I said. I heard him sigh in relief, "Thank you so much. See you at twelve!"

"Yeah, see you at twelve," I said. He hung up and I threw my phone on the bed. I laughed to myself and ran downstairs to make waffles. I shook the box of frozen waffles, only to find one waffle left. Great, that's just great.

I then ran back upstairs and grabbed my phone, texting my parents that I'll be out with friends for the day. I then checked how far the neighborhood pool was and I got all my stuff in a small bag.

As I thought about the timing and when I should leave, I started thinking more about the location. Neighborhood pools are nasty. Please oh, please can Vic's boyfriend be one of those kids that don't actually go in the pool and instead just sits out and probably smokes weed. I know horrible wishing but it's better than swimming with toddlers.

I really wish Jack was going with me, Vic's going to be occupied with his new man and his boyfriend's friends are probably just going to ignore me the whole time. I looked in my bag and slipped in a pair of earbuds for just in case...

"Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity"

-Unknown

644 words | 84 reads | 100 goal