9- When Someone Likes You Back

I was sitting in a seat across from Vic. The thumps of bowling balls and the smell of pizza were everywhere.

"You seem a lot less lonely this summer," he said as me as I sipped on my root beer, "on the last day of school you looked so bummed out that it was ending, now you look like you never want summer to end"

"Yeah well, I met someone who actually makes summer bearable."

He smiled brightly at me, casually gnawing at the end of his straw, "Do you want me to ask Kellin about him? I'm sure he'll know simple questions like ya know... sexuality?"

"Vic I may be gay but that doesn't mean I'm attracted to every single male I cross paths with. Sure he's not bad looking. And sure he's really sweet, nice, funny, good natured, caring, sympathetic, selfless and everything good in the world but, that does not mean I am attracted to him in any way like the way you are referring to"

Vic smirked down into his cup, "You've fallen bad for a boy who may or may not have the same feelings towards you" he shook the remaining ice.

I looked around at bowling alley, pins being knocked down every few seconds. Vic looked kinda irritated by the customers who were disrespecting the equipment. "Hey, I have an idea," Vic said, breaking out of his haze, "Use your gaydar and pick up one of those boys over there," he said.

I looked at him like he was crazy, "What makes you think I have a gaydar?" I asked.

"You're gay aren't you? I thought everyone had that?" He asked. "Vic, I am gay but, that does not mean I can attract any non heterosexual man"

Vic snorted, "Come on, why don't you prove it" he asked. I rolled my eyes and looked around. The group of customers was obnoxiously loud, maybe if I go up to one of them it would piss Vic off.

I grabbed my empty soda cup and made my way towards the group. Eyeing one of the boys, in particular, he was shorter than the rest, short and brown hair. His shirt had some strange font and random words but, I didn't pay attention to that. I have to prove to Vic that I am actual trash when it comes to romance.

I was standing near the group, my antisocialness immediately kicking in. It must've been the awkwardness radiating off of me that someone had looked my way, lucky for me it happened to be the one I was looking at.

He looked me up and down, he held up a single finger as if signaling me to wait. He snapped his attention back to his friends where they were screaming and talking about who knows what.

"Guys. Guys!" He tried to get their attention but nothing happened. He shrugged it off and stood up. He put his hand in the small of my back as if he was protecting me from any harsh things coming my way. "I'm single," he said.

I looked back at Vic who had his mouth agape, watching this event unfold. "I'm single as well, care to get a bowling lane of our own and get some introductions out of the way?" I asked. He nodded immediately.

We walked over to the counter, his hand still on my back. "Hello there, what can I get for you two!" Vic said, looking as if he was trying his possible best not to laugh.

"Just one round please," I said, he nodded, "okay lane three is open, please enjoy!" He smiled brightly. I really wanted to punch him.

We sat down at the lane, he started to set up the rounds, putting in his name first. 'Rian' it spelled out, I then put in my name as we waited for the bowling balls to come rolling up.

"Alex is a nice name," he said. I smiled, "I've never heard of Rian being spelled like that before," he looked up at me, "I like it," I said.

After a few turns of knocking down pins, Rian's friends were starting to end their game on their lane. "I should probably get going, sorry this was cut short," he said. I held out my hand, "It was nice meeting you Rian, hopefully, we can see each other again?"

He grabbed a napkin and pen from the table nearby and started to write something on it. "My number. Don't hesitate to call me" he winked. He then quickly walked off to join his friends who were unaware of his disappearance.

I looked down at the napkin, his number written in eligible writing. I looked up towards the counter where I saw Vic smirking at me. "Now that my dear friend," Vic said, "is what it looks like when someone likes you back!"

I rolled my eyes and put Rian's number in my phone. 

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart"

-Helen Keller

855 words | 135 reads | 145 goal