36. Dance Like There's No Tomorrow

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX: Dance Like There's No Tomorrow

"I don't think you should be going, Honey. I know you say your feeling better, Poppy, but you don't look better." His concern charmed me in the very least.

I sigh at his concern, shaking my head, very aware of the bloody black eye I sport, "Time doesn't wait for anyone, Maximus. I've got a lot of work to do, besides, you're all free to come with me." I note.

He groans out in defeat, sitting down on the bed in front of me as I pack my bag, Diana and Rosa-belle listen in on the side couch, only they act as if their eyes are glued to one spot on each page. Ivan stares at us, shaking his head at me and probably agreeing with Maximus.

The cast to my leg is finally off and I can walk easily, it's just my back that hurts the most and the small row of gauze on my left cheek, the one that was repetitively hit the most.

"I'm just saying, you should wait at least a few days. I know your still in pain, you wince every time you walk-" he sighs once again, racking a shaking, nervous hand through his hair, turning back to face me, "-How did he do it? This...Dark-Wood bastard. How did you get those scars, Poppy? I can't get past this until I know everything and I know, at some point in time, whenever you're ready, I will listen to every word you say and I will be there to hold your hand, Poppy? Please." I couldn't help it, the tear fell freely, not willingly onto my bruised cheek bone, my back was facing them so he didn't know.

"I swore to myself I wouldn't cry, Maximus. That...fucker, all he wanted was my bloody company. That was all Dad left me, everything from a pound to all the estates. I wasn't about to just let some cranky bastard of a builder take over something this big to me. Lord! You weren't there and no offence, but I'm bloody glad for it. You've already seen me now, a broken leg and more, I still stopped him before he could finish it, Maximus." I lied again. I shouldn't have. But I was ashamed of Winston Celestial, who had once been a part of my family. Could I truly tell the man I love, how screwed up it all was and what I was threatened with. I take a long breath, only for a sob to leave my chest and it made them all stand, I lose my footing, falling into Maximus, who screams my name over and over again while my eyes glaze over, pathetically.

Diana is in front of me, horror dead in her eyes as my reflection shows, I look like a broken, little blonde.

"PUT HER ON YOUR LAP, NOW! POPPY, FOCUS ON ME! BREATHE IN AND OUT!" She shouts at me but, it feels as though I'm trying to listen with static conflicting me, breaching me. Rosa-belle can't know what to do as Andrew crouches next to me with her. Ivan holds my hand, his eyes widened so much.

"Honey, baby. P-Please, breathe. B-Breathe with me, baby. Breathe with me." I close my eyes and focus on the rise and fall of his chest behind me, every gate opening where he breathes in, I follow not a minute after. A groan with a wince, leaning my head onto his shoulder before he slowly ticks me closer to his neck, he's shaking with tremors underneath my arms, which slowly loosen from tightening my grip on his lower wrists.