Ch 87: Countdown

Kota

As expected, I got to the hospital just before the morning shift started, almost five hours before my appointment. I knew the others had to get back to Ashley Waters before the first bell, but since the hospital was at least half an hour away, daylight was just emerging when they dropped me off. This is way too early. It's got to stop.

After passing through security, I went downstairs to Sean's basement office. The first thing I did was carefully compose a message to Owen, explaining in detail why having one of my brothers drive me in was a waste of time and resources when I could just take a cab. I threw in every reason I could think of, including the fact that it would lessen our carbon footprint. 

Since school hadn't yet started, Owen wasn't too busy. His answer was immediate.

Owen: I'll discuss it with Dr. Green and get back to you.

That was probably the best I could hope for.

Meanwhile, I had hours to go before my treatment. I laid down on the couch and napped, though I kept jerking awake with thoughts of that meeting.

Only nine hours to go.

Finally, I got up and went to Sean's computer. Though last night's phone call still bothered me, today I was putting aside all the Ethan-related research and worries. Family first. Dr. Faulkner--er, Lily--had been right. I needed to confront my team about whatever they were hiding and share what was on my mind.

I had a general idea of what Luke and North had found out yesterday, but not knowing what Mr. Sorenson was planning bothered me. I couldn't wait any longer for Owen to devise a plan. I had gone back to my old idea, the one that I'd researched before I had gotten hurt. I didn't know if anyone would accept it, but surely they could see that it was far better than losing her.

If they don't, I'll make them see.

Online, I logged into the cloud and found my research. I spent the next couple of hours printing out articles and studies on Sean's tiny printer. Deep down, I knew that studies and scholarly-approved articles wouldn't be enough. I needed to make a good argument. Me, the guy that was still dropping words on occasion and doubting himself. 

After a while, I couldn't stand to look at it any longer. I tucked everything inside a file folder and left Sean's office to go to PT. Afterward, I was still early for my appointment, so I stopped in the cafeteria on the way. I needed a distraction or I would keep obsessing about that meeting, now a little more than six hours away. 

"Hey, Kota! Want to join me?"

My mind still whirring with abstract theories and real-life case studies, I glanced around the mostly empty room, finally finding the tall, blond guy sitting at the far end of the cafeteria. Brandon? No, the grin and the classic Super Mario Bros t-shirt was a dead giveaway. "Sure, Corey. I've got a few minutes," I said, taking a seat across from him.

Corey was usually in a good mood, and today was no different. He flashed a grin at me. "Want a French toast stick?"

"Wish I could. I've got a treatment in about fifteen minutes; eating and drinking beforehand is generally a bad idea when you're going to be stuck somewhere for a couple of hours," I said.

Corey made a face. "I guess it would be."

I leaned back in the chair. "What's going on with you and your team?"

"Not much," Corey answered. "Things were really busy for a while, but right now, we've got some time off. I'm here for the medical stuff today; I missed my flu shot, and Axel's been riding me about it. I figured if I got here early, I could get in and out."