Ch 76: Lockdown

Sang

"Feels like we've done this before, hasn't it, Princess?" Victor commented as we trudged down the back stairwell.

"At least we're not hiding in the restroom this time," I said, trying to hide how worried I was. Another Tuesday. Another sixth-period interruption. What could be wrong now?

Moments ago, just before the end of sixth period, Mr. Hendricks had announced over the intercom that the school was now in an inside lockdown; students would stay in their current classroom for the rest of the day.

As the rest of my Japanese class took that in, Victor had stood up. "Sang and I need to go to the front office. Security issues, you know," he explained, gesturing to his uniform.

"I heard about you. I suppose that's okay," the substitute had said slowly. "But the girl--"

"Thanks." Victor took my bag and moved quickly, not giving the substitute time to react further before we were out the door.

"Breathe, Sang," Victor told me now as we turned toward the front hall.

"I can't help it." Images flashed through my mind, all from just after the explosion. The bomb squad poking around as Victor and I rush into the front hall... Mr. Blackbourne with a lost look in his eyes, frowning at his bloody hands...

"It's not another bomb if that's what you're thinking," Victor said. "We wouldn't be on inner lockdown for that."

"Then what?" I asked. "Could it be a fight? I guess it would have to be a big one."

Victor shook his head. "I don't know, but we'll find out. I bet it has something to do with the police."

In the main office, the activity was minimal. Ms. Michaels was behind the front desk, but the office workers were gone, leaving her alone. On the phone, she nodded to us as we passed by the front counter and went into Sean's and Mr. Blackbourne's shared office.

North was standing at the far end of the room, and Kota was sitting behind Mr. Blackbourne's desk, several neat piles of papers in front of him, materials I recognized as pages Victor had printed out so they could research Ethan.

"You're the last two," North barked out. "I was starting to wonder."

"Sorry it took so long." Victor dropped our bookbags near the entrance. "What's going on?"

"The police found a huge stash of drugs on the second floor," North explained. "They've put everyone on lockdown for the rest of the day so they could find the people responsible."

"Otherwise," Kota said, picking up another sheet of paper. "It's Tuesday at Ashley Waters."

No bomb, no fight. Relieved, I hopped up on Sean's desk.

"We're trying to keep an eye on who's involved and where the drugs are; the school board is going to want a report, especially if this becomes another epidemic," North explained. "But we're shorthanded with Luke and Silas gone."

Victor sat down behind Sean's desk and pulled out his laptop. "I forgot they were out."

"You could put me to work," Kota suggested without looking up. "I can handle surveillance." His tone suggested that while he was hopeful, he doubted North would agree.

"Not with the police here," North growled. "Even with the dogs keeping them busy, we can't risk it."

"Can I help?" I was just as doubtful as Kota. But I wasn't on sick leave, and the police didn't suspect me of anything.

"Stay here," North grunted. "We don't need the police noticing you either."

I gave him a look. The police had been here for two days already, and I was one of two thousand students. Why would they pay attention to me?