Chapter 11 - No Choice

Start from the beginning

I realized Cynd was speaking, but evidently I had missed most of the speech.

“-a time for celebration and a time for mourning, as we all are well aware. Please remember yourselves and welcome our new brother. This is a turning point in his life that he will slowly come to grips with. He will need our support. We may not be related by blood here, but we are family. You would do well not to forget it. For tonight, give Dheul his space. Tomorrow we will have a proper meal in Dheul’s favor.” There was a smattering of cheers and claps and then Cynd stepped away from the bonfire, a sure sign that they were dismissed.

Cynd approached me. He was as large as ever, though we were eye level in height. His breath came in white clouds, He offered one massive hand. I held my blanket with one hand and took his with the other. He shook it firmly, his eyes probing my mind in an unnerving gaze.

“You have much potential, Dheul. One day you will be a great leader.”

“Thank you, sir,” I replied, though I had no idea what he meant.

“I remember being your age. . .couldn’t’ve held a candle to your control back then.” He released my hand, nodding his head. “Yes, you have great potential. I look forward to knowing you.”

“Thank you, sir,” I repeated.

“Senrid, be sure to get him to his tent. Answer his questions, make sure he is as comfortable. You know what to do.”

“Of course, sir,” he replied.

He nodded once. “Good night, boys. Until the morn.”

“Until the morn,” Senrid repeated. Cynd disappeared into the dark shadows between tents.

“Well, Dheul. I’d say you’ve earned some rest. Let’s get you back.”

The going was slow because I was still not myself and the snow was cold under my bare feet. I shuffled along, wrapped in my blanket. It was still fairly dark, and the torches that lines the paths were significantly dimmer. Senrid walked slowly beside me, quick to catch me if I stumbled, watching my every movement out of the corner of his eye. I was silent, a billion thoughts bombarding my head.

Senrid must have noticed. “I know you want answers. Now’s your chance.”

I was quiet for a few steps. “I do not know where to start.”

“Just start. First thing that pops into your head.”

“Am I a mon-”

“No,” he answered before I even finished the question. “You are not a monster. Never think of it. What else?”

“What do I look like when I am a wolf? I heard the people talking. . .they said I was a demon. . .”

Senrid chuckled. “Demon, no. Intimidating, yes.” He tapped his chin thoughtfully. “For starters, your markings are all very red. Red just like your hair, you know. Bright and shiny. Your undercoat is white, though, so it only serves to make the red stand out. You’re tall too, like you are now, with long legs. And fast. I’ve never seen anyone move as fast as you did that night with the bear.”

“I was that fast?”

“I couldn’t see you, Dheul. I’d say that you are fairly fast.”

I smiled quietly to myself in the dark and there was silence between us for a few moments except for the frozen crunch of snow under our bare feet.

“Come on, Dheul. I know you have actual questions.”

“Am I a part of the tribe now?” I asked.