Chapter 51: The Hearing

Start from the beginning

'Look Travers I-'

'11 years,' He stated, giving me a death stare as I kept my mouth closed, '11 years,' he repeated, slower that time, intimidating me enough so I'd stay silent. 'Children have been born and been admitted to Hogwarts in that time, An intern has become one of the ministry's longest workers in that time, Grindelwald has killed thousands and thousands of people in that time and do you know what you have done?'

I didn't reply as I waited for it.

'Nothing, you have accomplished nothing in the matter of years except be a lazy, arrogant teacher sleeping at his desk!' Travers raised his voice to me, standing up and slamming his hand down on the table whilst I looked at him in disbelief.

'And what have you done Travers?' I intervened, also standing up, 'Because last time I checked you were no closer to defeating Grindelwald than I am,'

His eyes widened, 'Because you're supposed to do it! I've been telling you to focus on destroying that thing for years!-'

'And what do you think I've been trying to do?!' I yelled.

Taking a deep breath he nodded, 'I think you've been shying away from it because you don't want to fight him, it's as simple as that,'

Shaking my head I laughed, 'Travers, I may not want to fight but I can promise you I've tried  everything and I'm going to have to face him without breaking it,'

Running a hand down his face, he still looked mad but was trying to repress it, 'The hearing is soon so we best get a move on,'

He left without another glance at me which, honestly, I was grateful for.

I took my place near the back of the room whilst wizards and witches for the judges began to fill the stands. Retrieving the pocket watch, I sat and regrettably watched the time tick by. Needless to say, the end result was evident but not favourable. Curse my watchful eye and legilement mind.

I was jumped out of fixation on the slim, black needle counting the seconds for me with a tick by the minister, Leonard Spencer-Moon, slamming a gable to call order.

'Please rise for the defendant,' His voice, humbly spoken, rang out through the huge green tinged marble. This place gave me a faint resemblance to a chess board.

The sound of shuffling feet was followed by the few people who were invited here: me, a few other Hogwarts teachers and Travers. The place was quite scarce in terms of common folk.

Hagrid willingly made his way to the middle seat, though still escorted with a wand to his neck. I waited for something to happen as an eerie silence was cast over everyone whilst the minister seemed to be going through some documents.

'Mr Rubeus Hagrid?' He finally spoke, addressing Rubeus.

The boy, though rather large, looked so small and vulnerable in the chair being possibly convicted of a crime I do not believe he committed. I leaned forward on my hands, holding onto every word of both of them in attempt to piece my own theory together.

'Rubeus Hagrid, do you understand the seriousness of these charges?'

He made no eye contact with anyone, 'Yes sir,'

'Let's begin...these claims state that you were caught with a beast, a beast capable of murder and supposed to have been born in the castle at the hands of Salazar Slytherin. In addition, writing threatening messages written in blood, claiming you are the heir of said historical figure and intend to murder. Do you admit to these claims?' The minister asked.

Hagrid swallowed, 'No sir, you see-'

'Speak when you are spoken to,' The minister interrupted, '...tell us your side of the story if you must,'

Rubeus sat up straighter and cleared his throat, 'You see, sir, I was only raising an acromantula, one I admittedly brought into the school myself not from no chamber from Slytherin. I'm not very smart sir, I wouldn't know the first place of lookin for such a thing. I love creatures so I was raising Aragog, keepin' him a secret so 'e wouldn't be banished. Then all this murdering 'appened and some boy found me with Aragog and accused me of openin' it, which I didn't, 'e'd just got the wrong end of the stick, in fact, 'e seemed a little too sure if you ask me-' Hagrid said thoughtfully before being interrupted again.

'We didn't ask you for your theories, if that's your account then I think we should hear from our witness,' He dismissed, casting his eyes to where an all too smug Tom emerged as if he were the king of the world. He stood beside Hagrid, giving him a dirty look before presenting the judge with a charming smile, 'Tom Riddle, you understand everything you say can be used as evidence for and against your case?'

'I do indeed sir,' he nodded politely.

'Begin,'

Tom stared up at the judges before his eyes flickered to mine, burning into my pupils as if to let me know. He was going to win. He turned his attention back to the minister before beginning to recall the events he claims to have witnessed, pacing back and forth, 'Lets see...I had just finished conversing with Professor Dumbledore about the death of...I believe her name was Myrtle Warren. On my way back to my dorm, I overheard Hagrid whispering to his...beast.....telling it things...telling it to kill. I know it sounds strange, especially since he's a half giant, I would have thought he supported muggle borns but I appeared to be wrong as he ordered his discriminatory wishes to his beast. I knew no one would believe me if I stood and did nothing so I drew my wand and tried to handle the matter myself, unfortunately, the beast escaped leaving only the guilty man himself pleading me to tell no one of his dreadful, dreadful crimes-'

'That's not true!' Hagrid argued, 'That's not what 'appened at all-'

'Silence!' The minister slammed the gable again and waited for Tom to continue.

His mouth formed a faint smirk as clearly he was please with his actions, now that Hagrid has interrupted him, Tom had the upper hand. He was trying to anger him so that would happen. He planned it all. Everything, 'Though I must admit, once he realised the error of his ways he did seem quite willing to be caught...when I told him I would tell Dippet, he made no attempt at escaping. Clearly, he's aware he can't escape his punishment,' Tom stopped pacing and faced the court, 'Thank you,'

My mind turned over his last words...wasn't he trying to accuse him? At first he was all for it but towards the end he...sounded as if he was excusing him a little. He's just trying to throw me off the mark.

Whispers filled the jury as the minister sat thoughtfully, going over the accounts that had been placed in front of him in writing, 'All in favour of conviction?'

Tom was the first to raise his hand which was closely followed by most of the court and Travers.

'All in favour of having the defendant cleared of all charges?'

Only a few of the court raised their hands plus myself and the Hogwarts teachers.

'We find the defendant guilty,' The minister slammed the gable again, looking at some paperwork, 'By wizarding Law, these claims have the following consequences. Rubeus Hagrid you are hear by expelled from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Also, your wand will be broken beyond complete repair and if you attempt to use any other wand you will be immediately sent Azkaban. However,'

However?

'Since there is no complete evidence other than one witness that you did indeed commit these offences you will not be banned for school grounds and are granted availability to train for groundskeeper...do you accept these charges?' He leaned forward in his seat as if to threaten Hagrid to try.

Hagrid, though a rough looking young lad, had tears in his eyes that were almost coming out but he coughed them away hoarsely, 'Yes sir,'

Their was the final echo of the gable before people started to clear the stands; first of all Tim show as all too eager to leave, hastily making his way out. I sat there in a stunned silence whilst I pondered away the events of today...it's all so strange, I feel awful for Hagrid but on the bright side, Hogwarts is safe.

Please tell me if I'm slacking, I'm trying to get back into the fan fiction because I know it's been on hold for a while but the finale will be fairly soon...let's just say I can see it in the near future.