Chapter 26: Dreams

"C'mon, Elle," I hear the voice and turn around. It's young sounding and when my eyes meet his I'm surprised that not only is there another person in this museum but that it's a kid my age. He reaches his hand out and I walk cautiously over to him. "We have to get going, c'mon," he continues to speak as I get closer and I find myself reaching for his hand.

"Who are you?" I ask quietly. I've been in this museum too many times to count and I've never seen anyone else he. He smiles back at me for a moment as we run hand in hand and the pictures around us blur together.

"I'm your friend, Ellison," he says briefly before turning his head back in front of him so we can continue to run down the empty hallways, our feet clicking on the marble floors.

He smiles at me once more and that's when I realize that this boy next to me is Harry, a much younger Harry but I'm a much younger Elle too. His hair doesn't have quite the same curl to it as I'm used to but his smile is the same, slightly crooked, and his eyes are just as green.

I know I'm dreaming right now. I have gotten used to this dream at this point, so even though I'm in my younger body my current mind still seems to be the same. It almost feels like I'm watching from the outside as younger Elle runs around, yet I still feel everything she is feeling.

"Where are we going?"

"Where do you normally go?" young Harry asks me and I'm not sure how to answer.

"It's never the same," I shrug. We continue to hold hands as we run. He takes sharp corners dragging me along and I try to focus on keeping my strides with his. I don't think either of us knows where we are running, just that we are.

I look around quickly, hoping to recognize a painting or a sculpture around us but besides a few distinct colors everything is a blur. I know we are in the museum still because the ceilings are tall and our feet tap with every step but as normal I don't know where my legs are taking me.

"Why are you here?" I ask between breathes. Normally I'm alone.

"This is your dream, Elle. I should be the one asking why I'm here."

"I don't understand though."

"Maybe you need me," he smiles again and we continue to zoom down the hallway only gripping each-others hands tighter. His smile is reassuring and it's all I can focus on as the walls continue to blur around me.

Next thing I know our feet aren't moving anymore and we're standing on a beach. His hand is still in mine and I go to pull it away but he only holds on harder.

"Elle!" I hear a different voice coming from behind me so I turn around to see who it is.

Standing about ten feet away from us is my mother. Her blonde hair is blowing in the wind and a white flowing dress waves with it. Her blue eyes are piercing even from feet away and for a brief moment she is smiling at me. She looks a little older than she is now and her eyes, while piercing, appear tired. I feel a sudden need to run up and hug her but Harry's hand is holding me back.

"Mommy!" I yell over the gusts of the wind, doing a little jump.

"Elle," she repeats my name as she walks closer to us. Her smile doesn't return but from what I can see through my squinted eyes she still seems to be in a good mood.

I look at Harry for a moment and smile excitedly. Maybe he'll finally get to meet the mom that my young self got to see. Maybe this will be one of the good dreams with her.