Chapter 13: Elephant Mating Practices

When I wake up the next morning my body is pressed into the pillow barrier Harry built between us. It's warm in the room and the blanket I used last night has been thrown off of my body, now spread across the bottom of the bed. I feel a few pieces of hair stuck to my sweaty forehead so I attempt to run my hands through my knotty hair to push it back, breathing out deeply as I do.

Harry's a few inches away with his back turned to me. I watch his shoulders rise and fall with every deep breathe he takes in, almost hypnotized by the muscles on his back that tense up and relax as he sleeps. I'm slightly surprised when I realize I'm the one that was close to crossing the barrier, not him. I thought for sure he would be the one to invade my side of the bed, but instead it's me. I turn to the side stretching my arms above my head and look at the clock that's sitting on the side table, reading it with blurry eyes.

It's still incredibly early in the morning, not much to my surprise considering how my body doesn't physically know how to sleep in. I decide I should head home so I can avoid any possible awkward good morning conversations with Harry. Besides, I have a shift at the diner in a few hours anyways and there's few things I need to get done before then. After I take another large stretch, my fingertips grazing the head board and my feet pushing down to the bottom of the bed, I slowly stand up. Yawning as I walk over to the window, I look out to see the sun already shining brightly throughout the sky. It's obvious it will be yet another hot day in good old South Dakota.

I quickly change into the shorts and t-shirt I was wearing yesterday, trusting that Harry's eyes will stay closed as he sleeps. They do.

Turning to look at the books sprawled across the window seat that we didn't clean up from last night, I suddenly get an idea. It's easily one of the best ideas I've had in the last few weeks and I know if I leave I'll be able to complete the necessary steps to actually complete my plan, giving me even more reason to disappear before Harry wakes. Grabbing one of the books, I walk over to the desk on the opposite side of room, looking for a piece of paper and pen.

Harold,

Remember how you said you thought I was an evil genius... well just wait until tonight. You'll think I'm an evil genius who deserves to rule the world. Cue evil laugh.

Anyways, you have taken on the role as my minion whether you like it or not. So meet me at the fountain on the university campus tonight at 10:47 on the dot. If you're not there I'll probably hunt you down so just save me trouble, okay? Also you should probably wear something dark.

I have a shift at the diner today so don't bother trying to figure out the plan because it's not happening.

Sincerely,

Evil Genius Ellison

P.S. Thanks for letting me stay over. Turns out pillow barriers work out pretty well.

P.P.S I know what you're thinking and no we will not get into trouble. You should know in my eighteen years of existence I have yet to be arrested... I'm good at running. You better be too.

Just kidding.

No I'm not.

Okay stop worrying. See you later.

I smile at the note as I look at my curly handwriting covering the small piece of paper. Walking back over to his bed, I notice Harry's new position, his body turned so he's lying on his back. His head is tilted to the side and his mouth his slightly open, letting out a small puff of air with every breath. I set the note directly on his face before grabbing the book and shoving it into my bag, quietly making my way through Harry's door.