28) For My Girls

(TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains gunshots, blood, and heavy mentions of school shootings. I will put another warning when it gets super heavy and put a short summary at the bottom to fill you in)

~|•Philips POV•|~

I was tired, I hadn't slept at all. I'm still scared for Fanny. I haven't slept, barely eaten, and I don't even talk to anyone anymore. I spaced out from what Dewey was teaching. I couldn't focus. All my thoughts were on just getting my little sister home.

I secretly looked down at my phone, re-reading a text I had sent earlier.

Dad: i know you havent eaten in a while, theo told me. i know the whole ordeal is stressing us all out, but why don't you come over for lunch? call in sick today?

Phillyboi: can't. sorry

"P-Ham? P-Ham! PHILIP!" I snapped out of my thoughts to see Dewey snapping his fingers in front of me. "I only said your name ten times, dude. Hallway talk. Now." I got up from my desk and followed him into the hall. "Whats going on, dude? You've been falling asleep in class, you've been withdrawn, and spaced out a dozen times. Whats going on?" I sighed. "I......My little sister ran away a week ago, and we can't find her. I've been worried. I haven't eaten much, I haven't slept-" My talking was cut off my my stomach growling. "Dude, that doesn't sound like a normal growl. You gotta eat something. Hey, I'll call your teachers, tell them you're taking a mental health day. Go to your dorm, sleep, eat, and for the love of God, shower. You smell like The Jett when I forget to take out the trash in it."

"Gee, thanks." I muttered. "I'm really sorry about your sister, maybe we can talk about it later in The Jett?" I nodded. "Just go take a nap, I gotta get back to class." "Okay. All right." I went inside for a quick moment, grabbed my bag and coat, and left the class. I whipped my phone out and started to text Dad.

Phillyboi: hey, change of plans, ill be coming over in about two hours

I was about to press send when I heard screaming and loud bangs from the building next to the one I was in. I had a horrible gut feeling. And it wasn't starvation from eating nothing but small portions of protein bar bites for the past week.

It was a feeling that told me to get out.

The cried from the other building grew loud, saying 'HELP!' 'We're trapped!'

Everyone started to leave their classes. Teachers pulled them back in and told them to stay quiet. Others began to panic and barricade the door. I ran out the other way, leaving my bag behind. It'll only slow me down. I ran through the exit. Trying to find the source of the sound. Dewey and the rest of his class were outside too. "Everyone, get to your dorms, lock your doors, grab something to defend yourself with!" He screamed. I grabbed him. "We gotta help the people in the building! They're trapped!"

"Philip, thats a suicide mission!"

"My friends and my sister are trapped in there!" I screamed with tears in my eyes. "I can't lose another sibling!"

He hesitated, then nodded. "Okay, Jason has economics near the window, we gotta get it open."

We ran to the next building over and found the window. It was locked. Oh god. No, no, no, no. I picked up a large rock and screamed. "GET AWAY FROM THE WINDOW!" I threw it as hard as I could as the window shattered. "Everyone, get out now!" People crawled out the window as Dewey made sure no one cut themselves on the shards. Jason crawled out and clung to me. "Phil. Thank God." I gave him a bro-hug, and then faced him. "Wheres everyone else? Evan? Angie? David? Richard?" "Trapped." I panted. "I'm sorry. If I don't come out, tell my family I love them." I jumped in the broken window.