23) Cake, Anyone?

September 30

(Alexanders POV)

It was late at night, everyone except me and Eliza was asleep. We didn't want to raise suspicion. I then realized I forgot something. "I forgot-" "The cake. I have it right here." I sighed in relief. This was an ice cream cake, I'm not leaving it behind to melt in the car. I want that thing for myself. But I can't. Its to share. Its for Fanny.

Just a few days ago, I saw Fanny playing in the corner with Will, making a huge Lego rocket. I was on the couch doing my respective work, and paused my paperwork to watch them for a bit. I smiled, knowing I would do this all the time with James back in Nevis. We would spend hours making nonsense stuff with the Tinker Toys as Mom cooked dinner. Its kind of a funny thing to think about now, one day, you could be living it up, the next day, its all gone and you're pushed into adulthood against your will.

I think it was after Mom died and the house was sold, is when my childhood ended. I remember, the day we came back from Moms funeral. Just me and James. Being young, we had to use what was left our the money we had to scrape enough together for a burial. It was rainy and musty that day. I remember I couldn't even stand right because I was still recovering from the yellow fever. I had to be held up by James. We came back to the house with a social worker standing by the door, and an auctioneer. I can't remember what she said to us, but I remember being taken away from the house kicking and screaming, with her saying the law said we can't live alone. Then we were put into her car, with her saying we were going to my cousins house, as he was our only known living relative. I was sobbing as I saw people I didn't know come into the house as the auctioneer was showing them around a the car drove off.

I was snapped out of my thoughts with Wills voice. "Daddy? You never said anything." "Hmm? Sorry, bud. Lost in thought. What did you say?"

He held up a large Lego rocket. "We made it ourselfes! Do you like it? Huh?" He said proudly with his lisp shining through, holding it up. "Wow! This looks really great! I think its your best one yet!" He laughed. "Do the announcer voice!" The announcer voice is what I use for very important events.....in Wills eyes. "My, what a marvel! Such technique! Such skill! I haven't seen anything like this since the great building finals of 2001! This is a miracle!" He laughed. "You're silly!"

Its been my dream to give my children the childhood I never had. People think my dream was to be a lawyer, but it was honestly to just be happy. So many horrible events flashed before my eyes, I wished it would all stop. It finally did when I met Eliza.

"What should we make now?" Will asked Fanny. "How about a cake? Cause my birthday is in two weeks."

That rung an alarm. I ran to my room, grabbed her papers and saw her birthday. It is was in two weeks.

I had planning to do.

I put the cake in the freezer as Eliza put the decorations on the counter. I whipped out my phone, hoping Usnavi was still awake.

Youngscrappyandhungry: so you and sonny have to keep fanny out until i give you guys the heads up

Icantsurvivewithoutcafé: weve been over this a million times, you sound like my mama

"Alex?" Eliza said meekly. "Whats wrong? You sound unsure." "I....um....never mind. It can wait until morning." "Liz, you look upset." I said, wrapping my arms around her shoulders. "No....its not important. I'm just tired." I kissed her temple. "Its okay. Lets go to bed. We got a big day tomorrow."

(THE NEXT DAY)

(Fannys POV)

I woke up to the smell of cinnamon. I got out of my bed and walked to the kitchen, to find an empty table and kitchen, and two freshly baked cinnamon rolls with a note.