"You took your time."

Taehyung bit the insides of his cheek. "I had plans."

The older man relaxed back into the couch and chuckled. "Must have been one hefty plan for you to ignore the lovely Park Minjee."

Taehyung's expression hardened. "You didn't have to do that."

"I didn't have to." M agreed. "But I wanted to."

"Why?" Taehyung grit his teeth. "Why are you so hell bent on doing all these?"

"I thought I told you. I despise people betraying me."

"For goodness' sake, will you stop saying that?! I've been hearing this ever since Michael left. I'm sorry but do you even know what betrayal means?" Taehyung paused and took a deep breath, controlling himself from raising his voice further. This was his last straw at avoiding conflict. He kneeled next to the couch, abandoning his position. By the door, he could see Jungkook; his brows dipped down in concentration. An intense spark of desperation and resignation passed as their eyes lingered on one another. He shifted his gaze back to the man in front of him.

"When I first came to Seoul, I was lost. I had only been here a few times to visit my parents but when I shifted without their aid, I was clueless. I guess my parents assumed I knew everything for they left me to look after a conglomerate along with another clueless boy. Jungkook and I only had each other. It was difficult, having no experience but coping up with the reputation and result that was expected of us. And then, you found us. I still don't know what you saw in us but you took us in. You taught us to withstand the burden. You showed us an exciting new path that we could walk upon. It was dark, but with you by our side, we had nothing to fear. You made us feel strong. You made us feel powerful. We even made new friends. No matter what people said, I loved you, admired you. I still do. But it's time we started exploring the world on our own; lead a new life."

Despite the fierceness in his eyes, Taehyung believed he hit a soft spot. He anticipated a reply but all he received was a sympathetic gaze. The silence continued for a while before Taehyung felt the urge to speak again. He wanted to grab every chance of persuasion he could get.

"It's okay to be scared of change. But it is an inevitable part of life. I believe it's time for a change and I want you to stand by me. I want you to stay with me as you always have." Taehyung suspected tears in his eyes. "Hmm? Please?"

Taehyung watched as M placed his index finger on his forehead. His coarse digit stroked away the few strands of hair and Taehyung held his breath.

"How many years has it been?"

Taehyung raised his eyebrows in confusion.

"How many years has it been since you've known me?"

Taehyung was unsure of where this was headed. "S-seven?" he stuttered.

"Seven years." M nodded. "I'm surprised. Seven years and you still don't know me."

"What do you mean?"

"My child, do you not know that when I take a decision, there's no going back?"

"But-"

"My decision is ultimate."

Taehyung sighed and hung his head low in defeat. He was at his wit's end. He had tried everything in his power to change this. He no longer had a choice. In a way, he had lost the game. A series of images flashed through his mind. He thought of Michael, his positivity, his passionate friendship, his assuring smile when Taehyung experienced his first heartbreak, his destroyed state as he said his final goodbyes, his forlorn look as his brushes stroked the vivid colours of his father. He thought of Naoko, her beautiful smile, her mother-like warmth, her gentle fingers as they caressed his wounded cheeks, her far-away look as she saw glimpses of her husband in Luke's cheeky grin, her shivering frame as she sobbed into his chest. And then, he thought of M. His first encounter, his growing admiration for the man, the power he felt when he was handed his first weapon, his strong words of advice, his genuine smile as he addressed Taehyung as his son, his broken self on the day he parted with his family, his coldness thereof, and the final image of his resolute grey eyes.