Dimples

Kira felt like her heart would jump out of her body

Kira felt like her heart would jump out of her body. She was filled with an overwhelming sense of happiness; a happiness so profound that it almost made her senseless.

The person who called her smiled brightly at her. He had a fit body, a fine specimen of what people called 'Masculine beauty'. His broad shoulders faded away in contrast to his face. His shy dimples accompanied his handsome smile.

"Namjoon!" She exclaimed as she ran over to hug him. He didn't mind that she practically crashed onto him. He lifted her up, enveloping her in his warm hug. God, it's been so long.

"You didn't tell me!" Kira complained, eyeing both of Jin and Namjoon.

"And miss that expression on your face? Hell no." Jin laughed. Kira was too happy to stay mad at them. "You guys catch up. I'll make sure Hoseok doesn't see. And get some stuff for the party while you're at it."

Hoseok's birthday, she had almost forgotten about that. Namjoon and her decided to hit the store first for party supplies and then went to the nearby beach. It was calm and the wind seemed to carry a lot of memories along with it.

"Hoseok doesn't know you're here either?" Kira enquired, walking beside him.

"Nope. Jin suggested I surprise him at the party." He smiled.

"Don't play him like me though, he'll get a heart attack." She chuckled.

The waves washed their legs periodically and their feet softly sank on the wet sand. 

"How are you?" Kira asked.

"I am good, I am healthy." Namjoon said.

"You know that's not what I mean. How are you? Are you happy?"

"I am. It's just, I felt like I didn't have time for myself all these years. But I enjoyed doing what I did."

"That's good." She replied. "How long will you stay?"

"Definitely more than six months. I need time to recharge myself. I need time with you guys." He smiled.

"Six months?! Considering the fact that you barely stayed for a day the last time, that's a boon." Kira was ecstatic.

Namjoon laughed. "I even bought a place here. At least that way, I'll get more excuses to come back." He lightly jumped, pretending to escape a wave.

Kira had missed this and it felt so good feel it once again.

At one point in time, Namjoon had been her everything. They weren't dating for the sake of it, they were in love. He was good to her and he loved everything about her. Her parents trusted him like a son. Jin and Hoseok loved him dearly too and they'd all thought it would stick. They'd all hoped and believed that he was the one for her. They were that perfect.

He was a lot of her firsts and they both wanted to be each other's last. Fate wasn't that lenient with them. Despite their immense love for each other, they wanted different things in life. He had to go abroad to study and he had to take care of his business. She couldn't go either; she had to stay for the passion to her company.

They both knew that being in a long distance relationship would only ruin its purity. And so, they both let go. They let go of each other so that it wouldn't hurt them. It was hard at first; it was like losing a drug that kept you alive and suddenly being stripped off its sweetness. Kira had been afraid to fall in love, ever since.

But slowly, little by little, they tried to get over it. They still kept in touch, they knew each other's deepest secrets and deep down, they still loved each other. They went different ways for the best of both.

It came as a surprise to her that time could really change everything; that loneliness really could fade away in time. It was hard but she got through it.

"What about you? How have you been?" He asked breaking her train of thoughts.

"I am good. You won't believe the amount of weirdness I went through in the last few weeks but I am happy."

He smiled warmly and her heart fluttered a little. She was afraid of asking more, she was afraid that her old feelings would come gushing up. They walked in silence, enjoying each other's company.

***

"Surprise!" A crowd of people yelled together as Hoseok switched the lights on. He was pretty startled from the commotion and almost toppled off of himself but he managed to hold his composure.

They all sang the birthday song and Hoseok smiled confidently at everyone. By the end of the song, Namjoon dramatically showed up.

"Joonie!" Hoseok yelled as they embraced each other. They went on rambling about things no one knew about in what seemed like a foreign language.

"Surprise?" said another voice. Hoseok, Jin, Namjoon and Kira all turned towards that familiar sweet voice. 

"Jiminie!" They all yelled in chorus, earning a strange look from the other party-goers. He took turns hugging everyone and finally hugged Kira. 

"I missed my Minnie so much." He said ruffling her hair. 

"Well, I was peaceful for atleast three months. Especially because I didn't have to hear my mom whine about my perfect, over-achieving cousin." She teased and he smacked her shoulders playfully. When he was a kid, he couldn't quiet say the word 'Minjee' and he had called her 'Minnie' instead, which stuck. On other terms, that name would have earned a glare from Kira but with him, it was endearing.  

"You've been good, right? Are there any guys giving my little sister a hard time? Is there any guy I must beat up? " He asked, putting up a stern face.

"I've been good. No and no. You do know that I can protect myself right? Maybe even better than these small hands." Kira teased, squeezing his hand. Jimin scowled which made him look even more cute. 

"You're gonna stay, right?" Kira asked, longingly. 

"Yup, I am done with the deal." He grinned. 

Just then, Hoseok came up to them and ran his hand through his hair, an imitation of one of Jimin's common trait. "Jimin? Oh yeah, Jimin. Oh Jimin!" He said pretending to be provocative. Jimin chased after Hoseok and they both took off, running around the place. 

The birthday party was lit. Good food, dancing people, good music and of course, clichéd cups of alcohol.

"Come on! It's just for today." Jin pleaded, handing Kira a cup. She was hesitant. Parties and drinking were all fun and games until you had to go through a horrible hangover the next day.

"Consider today a cheat day. Please? For me?" Hoseok smiled brighter than the sun. She just couldn't say no.

Just one turned to two, to three to god knows how much. How typical.