Chapter Thirty Nine: ____less

~ Aizawa's Point of View ~

"This is Y/N. I can't come to the phone right now, but if you leave a message I'll call you back. Truthfully, you'd be better off texting me. Bye!"

       I know that I have her phone but I keep calling, if only to hear her voice. I feel like I'm losing my mind. First my brother and now...

I slap both my palms against my face. Thinking like that won't do me any good. Y/N is still alive. She's out there and I'll do whatever it takes to get my niece back.

       A pair of arms wrap around my waist and the familiar scent of Hizashi's cologne fills my nose. I've been finding comfort in these arms a lot more frequently than I care to admit. He's been my rock ever since Y/N disappeared, even though I know her disappearance is affecting him equally hard.

       "We're going to find her," his breath is hot against the nape of my neck. "I know we will."

       I spin around in his arms and grip the fabric of his shirt as tight as I can. No amount of support can stop my knees from giving out or the tears from racing down to my chin.

       "I can't... I don't know what I'll do if I lose her too." I pull myself closer to his chest while stretching out his shirt collar in the process. "I'm supposed to be a hero but I can't even keep Y/N safe. How many times have all my students been out in danger?"

       "And you've been there for them each time that you were able to be there," he whispers, clearly holding back tears of his own. "As a hero, you should know better than anyone that you can still be a hero even if you aren't the one partaking in the action. In this situation, you're the number one hero by staying strong for your class and for Y/N."

       Strong? Me? "How am I strong when all I do is go through the motions and cry behind closed doors?"

       He runs his fingers through my hair and pulls back so that he can look me in the eyes. "By going through the motions, you are showing your students that things are still the same. That you have confidence in the other heroes and the police force to bring Y/N home."

       My bottom lip shakes. "But I should be out there looking for her! Instead, I'm stuck in class. Even my students know..."

       "Your students understand why you aren't out there looking for her. While she is your niece, you still have an obligation to the twenty other students under your care. You still have an obligation to the school," he says, keeping a level voice. "Shota."

       I don't want to talk anymore. I gather whatever strength I have left in me and gently press my lips to his before getting to my feet and shuffling over to my bed. "Please, stay with me again tonight."

~ Reader's Point of View ~

       The whole world is a blur as I open my eyes and blinking doesn't do much to clear up the scenery.

       "What do you mean your handing her over to them?" I hear Maya's whiny voice echo in my head.

       Handing her over to who?

       Are they talking about me?

       "I hate the idea just as much as all of you, but in my past conversations with him, we can agree that their hideout is more secure than our own," Shigaraki sighs, sounding more frustrated than normal. "He has agreed that I can send one of our own to give us daily reports and to ensure that he doesn't go against our agreement."

       "I still don't trust him after what he did to..." Maya begins.

       "If you say her name, I will drain you of every last ounce of your blood," Toga growls. I still can't see very well but it looks like she has one of her blades drawn.

       My head feels heavy. My body feels weaker than ever. Am I actually dying?

       Shigaraki stops the ensuing chaos. "Dabi. I'm going to send you with the girl. I'd send one of the Americans but frankly, I still don't trust them."

       I'm not sure if it's just a few seconds, minutes or longer, but the next thing I know is that I'm laying down in a moving vehicle.

       Dabi and an unknown man sit in the front. There isn't much conversation. Before we reach our destination, I fade out of consciousness again.

Author's Note: I have no excuses other than life and bullshit. I'm so sorry. I've said that quite a bit in the last few chapters.
If you would like to join my discord server the link is below and you can yell at me all you want for not updating in an entire eternity. And you can yell at me to get the next update out in a timely manner. Just. Please yell at me nicely 🙏🏻
https://discord.gg/vjThJV2