Prologue

(Third Person Point of View)

       "The investigation into the death of pro-heroes Mist and Erase is still on-going. The two heroes turned up on the scene of a burglary that took a turn for the worse when multiple hostages were accounted for inside the First National Bank of Rodeo. The criminals responsible made a deal with the chief of police that they would release all hostages if they could negotiate with Mist and Erase face-to-face. Unfortunately, the negotiations went south and the criminals fled the scene of the crime after ending the lives of the number five and number eight American heroes. We will keep you updated on this breaking story as more information becomes available."

       Shota Aizawa, A.K.A Eraserhead shook his head as the television screen blinked off. The funeral for his brother Shinji and his sister-in-law Kayano was tomorrow, but he couldn't make it. He wanted to be there for Y/N more than anything. Of course, he'll see her in a week, but she's all alone. She's only fifteen and she'll have to bury both of her parents the following day. He's tried calling her several times, but Y/N has been screening all her calls.

       "Hey, Aizawa," the familiar voice of Toshinori Yagi, A.K.A All Might carried through the office door. "Principal Nezu said he'd like to speak with you up at the main campus."

       Aizawa sighed and pulled on the elastic hair tie, releasing his messy black locks. His eyes were generally red from his chronic dry eye, but today they were also swollen. He still hadn't told his class about his niece or his brother. He hadn't spoken to anyone about it really, knowing that once he did it would feel all the more real. With his eyes hidden behind a veil of hair, he stood up from his desk and made his way out of the dorm.

       "All Might, make sure they don't burn the place down while I'm gone," Aizawa said, looking specifically at the explosive Bakugo, who was sitting on the couch sending small firework-like sparks off the tip of his finger.

       "You can count on me," Toshinori cried out, taking on the iconic form of All Might, the former number one hero. It only lasted a moment before he deflated and a spurt of blood projected past his lips.

       Aizawa would never admit to it, but Toshinori managed to make him smile, at least on the inside.

       Once he was a safe distance from the dorms and the students that were taking advantage of the warm Saturday, Aizawa pulled out his phone and selected Y/N from his recent calls. He had come to expect her cheerful voice telling him to leave a message, but this time the phone rang three times before Y/N's voice cracked in his ear.

       "Y/N?" He asked, feeling stupid after the fact.

       She sniffled and cleared her throat. "Hi, Uncle Ai." She tried her hardest but still failed to keep the shakiness out of her voice.

       "Hey kiddo," he mentally kicked himself again. He had been calling her since the day before, wanting to talk to her and be there for her, but he never expected her to answer after the first call went straight to voicemail. He didn't plan this far. "How are you holding up?"

       "Great question Aizawa," he wanted to slap himself. "You're all she has left and you're an idiot."

       "As good as can be expected," Y/N's voice squeaked, making each word sound physically painful. She took a deep breath and her words suddenly became stiff. "I'm so tired of people apologizing for my loss. I'm tired of everyone telling me what great heroes my parents were. I know they were great! I fucking know they were great! Telling me that and throwing condolences at me isn't going to bring them back! Why don't people see that what they consider to be kind and comforting words are just painful reminders that they're gone." Her tears leave her words drowning in a sea of inconsolable hurt.