Chapter Seven: Non-Quirk Combat Training Pt. 1

"Alright, listen up," Uncle Ai—Mr. Aizawa as he told me I should address him during school hours and official school outings—says quieting all the students. "Myself and the other teachers have assigned each of you to a group of four."

       "Seeing as my class only has nineteen students and class 1A just gained Y/N, it works out perfectly," Ms. Joke laughs causing visible annoyance in Mr. Aizawa's face.

       He lets out a deep sigh and the tiniest of eye rolls. "Each group of four will have two sets of Nullification Bracelets and two Nullifying Remotes. Two of the four in your group will be wearing a pair of the bracelets and fighting while the other two are in charge of choosing when to nullify your Quirk." He holds up a thick black cuff and a small controller with a switch in the middle.

       "Before we assign you to your groups we will be going over basic hand-to-hand combat techniques," Vlad King booms. "For this we have also assigned you partners based off of ability and who we think will pair best together."

       "Can you believe we only had two hours of actual classes today?" Kaminari whispers to Sero and Kirishima.

       "I hope I get paired with a hot babe," Mineta drools. I make the mistake of making eye contact with the midget. He shoots finger guns at me and I feel my breakfast attempting to claw its way up my chest.

       "Those of you who master the basics might get to work with the nullification accessories after lunch," Mr. Aizawa speaks louder signaling he heard the whispers and is commanding for them to stop. "Now, when you hear your name called please step to the front to meet your partner."

       The decrepit All Might holds a transparent black clipboard with a gum-ball machine sticker of him stuck to the back. "Tsu you will be partnered with Nakagame from Ms. Joke's class. Mina will be partnered with Setsuna Tokage from 1B. Kirishima with Tetsutetsu." He reads down the list and each pair moves off to the side.

After about ten pairs are called I hear my name. "Y/N you will be working with Shindo."

       I step to the front along with the brown haired boy with the million dollar smile. I was honestly hoping to be paired with Bakugo...

       "Just so you know, I won't take it easy on you," Shindo smiles, casually winking at me.

       I grin back at him. I start to say something but I hear Bakugo mutter under his breath. It sounded a lot like, 'Eat shit.'

       "Bakugo and Midoriya will be working together." There's a tinge of amusement in All Might's voice as he calls out this pairing.

       Izuku gulps and joins Katsuki who took up post by my side. He shoots a nasty glare over my head to the happy-go-lucky boy on my other side. Yo just continues to smile, but something about his eyes says it's not a friendly one.

       Once everyone is partnered up we spread apart. Bakugo and Midoriya staying next to me and Shindo. Kaminari and Ibara stand in front of me. It's pretty clear by her body language she isn't psyched to be paired with him. I overhear him ask for her number, a request that goes without a reply.

       Over the next two and a half hours we are taught different ways to punch, throw an elbow, kick and dodge. We learn how to break an opponents hold and different techniques for take downs. The teachers even go as far as to touch on how to maneuver around an enemy carrying a knife and other weapons. By the time lunch rolls around my gym jacket has been thrown to the side leaving me in a standard black tank top.

       "When we return from lunch we will continue with these exercises," Vlad King announces. "Be back in one hour."

       Small chattering fills the air along with the sluggish shuffling of feet. I've been drilling these techniques since I got my Quirk, but the aching in my body feels like I've never fought hand-to-hand in my life.