Chapter Ten: Late Night Conversations

I wake up in the middle of the night with an excruciating headache. Holding my head with my hands I fight my way to light switch. I wish that just simply holding my temples would make the pain disappear, but wishful thinking only gets you so far.

The sudden burst of light only aggravates my headache further. I think I saw an emergency first aid kit under the sink in the kitchen, there's got to be some pain killers inside it.

Opening the door I find the familiar bushy haired blond sound asleep across from where I walk out.

"K-Katsuki?" I squat in front of him, the pain in my skull is now the furthest thing from my mind.

He looks so soft when he's sleeping. No scowl consuming his face. No lips pursed in anger. I take a moment to look at him, I mean really look at him. His arms are so muscular and his pectorals peek out through the top of his black tank top. His hands rest in his lap and his pants fit so well.

       Before I know what I'm doing, my fingertips brush lightly against his cheek. He flinches slightly at the touch and his eyes blink open.

       "Y/N?" He asks, sleep lacing my name on his tongue.

       I know I should move my hand, but the feel of his soft skin is overwhelming. Little bolts of lightning seem to dance under my fingers. Finally, I start to pull my hand away, but his fingers wrap around my wrist, keeping it firmly in place.

       Our eyes lock. Slowly he brings our foreheads together and his other hand comes up to caress my cheek. With only a second of hesitation he closes the gap between us, pressing his lips gently to mine.

       I keep my lips against his long enough to enjoy the moment. "Bakugo," my voice catches in my throat.

       "I'm sorry," he says, his face turning bright red and his eyes looking down. "I don't know what came over me."

"Don't apologize," I smile. I take his hand in mine. "It was sweet. Unexpected, but very nice." Oh god, I sound like an idiot.

His eyes are locked onto our hands. "Tell me the truth. How do you really feel about the letter and the shadow? Yesterday, during training you were kicking ass. That night you and Mr. Aizawa fought you were on whole other level. Today, it's like you didn't even know what a punch was let alone how to throw or dodge one. Y/N, please, I don't know what it is about you, but I want to be here for you. I can't do that if you don't let me." He seems unsure about what he's saying, awkward even, like he's never truly cared for another person before.

A renegade tear finds it way out of my left eye. Other than my parents, Uncle Ai, Uncle Mic and All Might, no one has ever wanted to be there for me unless it benefitted them in some way.

"I'm terrified." My voice shakes with this admission. "I saw the shadow again last night and whoever it was waved at me. I got up to use the bathroom and there they were, just watching. I couldn't sleep afterwards. What if the person in the shadows really did kill my parents? The thought of them being less then twenty feet away from where I sleep is mind numbingly terrifying. The thought of facing them or fighting them is even scarier. What if it's someone at UA? If it isn't, then how are they able to get onto the campus with the insane amount of security the school has?"

Bakugo squeezes me hand. "Hey. Y/N. Even if the worst case scenario comes to pass, you won't be in it alone. You have your uncle and all of class 1A. That includes me." His red eyes meet mine. "Just promise me, that you won't keep things from me anymore. I'll kick anyone's ass that tries to hurt you."

"I promise," I say, more tears roll down my face.

~ Bakugo's Point of View ~
What am I saying? I barely know Y/N and yet I have such a strong urge to protect her. I have an even stronger urge to just be by her side always. My whole life I've put myself first in everything I do, but now...