Chapter 16: A Smile To Depart...

< Gloria's POV >

I couldn't help but sigh at each page turned. It had been days... months, since he was gone. That bird of his didn't bother about seeing me either. So, by far, all I could do was write empty letters and stash them in an album book. I missed him so much.

If it had been J... I'd know instantly whether he was lying to me or not... but with Fred, it was always different. He was always a step ahead of me. And this horrible feeling of being in the dark, wrecked my mind so.

Even though I smiled everyday, even though everyone was here, I knew deep inside how utterly useless all this ended up as.

The only good news I'd come across was that one invitation to the ball held by the King at the Imperial Palace. He had invited me, by name, while also suggesting to take my family. Indeed... he was pleased by my logical thinking instead of an emotional one.

"Gloria," Helen lightly knocked on the door before entering my room, "it's almost time. Are you ready?"

I jumped out of the chair and took the secret diary and hid it under my pillow. While I was panicking over my messed up hair and all the clothes that had been scattered across the room, the door flung open.

I saw mom. Her smile of wrath was frightening!

"Young lady," she spoke in monotone, "what is all this mess? Why aren't you ready yet? Hmm... hmm!"

Her demands seemed to be getting more and more ridiculous lately. She was always nagging at me about manners and etiquette. Each and everyday since the last seven months!

"I'm just wondering which one is more suitable..." I tried to lie, glancing towards Helen for some backup.

"Well, you know mother, it is a ball the king especially invited her to... it's kinda obvious that she'd be nervous, right?" Helen suggested.

"Oh, come now!" Mom grabbed ahold of my hand and dragged me away while I thanked Helen for the help. All she did was smile.

I was dragged down the stairs and all the way until the dining room where the boys and Carmine waited. When they all saw me, they looked a bit pale, but understood what was going on.

Carmine looked pale and panicking. Dad was out of words while George stood silent, observing first. Charles chuckled with a mischevious smirk and 'innocently' asked what was wrong.

Our mother... who had been doting over Charles for the past few months, saw no problem in telling him exactly what was going on.

Charles listened and nodded. The rest of us stood speechless.

I mean, it's okay to ask him about which clothes I should wear and what is the King's favourite colour... but why must she ask him about what underwear I should wear, huh!? Where's the logic in that! Besides I'm a girl now! Isn't it better to ask Helen or Carmine... or even a maid...! Why him of all people?

"Well, dear mother," Charles spoke very politely, "isn't it fine for her to wear pink?"

"Pink what!" I held back my thought, almost bursting with fury.

"You hear that!" Mom turned towards me, "At least someone gets me! That's right... pink dress and undergarments for you, young lady...!"

Her voice was so loud, not to mention the entire place echoed, I bet the entire castle heard it!

I had never been as humiliated in both my lives as I was today... besides, the only one wearing pink today would be me (everyone else is already ready for the ball except me!!). Anyone can guess who she was talking about...!