Chapter 12: Confession

< Fred's POV >

As I gazed towards the moonless sky above me, only grief consumed my soul, delighted at its midnight snack.

"Its hopeless," I murmured to myself.

After my various outbursts of anger and resentments, I scurried out the room, afraid to look back at her... at him. I was so relieved that finally Gloria had begun to trust me again, just like old times, but now that I had shattered it all... it's all gonna be over.

I sat on the fountain, aimless and overwhelmed. It must have been excruciatingly painful to die the way that he did.

"I wish it would all just go away!" I shouted without a soul in sight, my voice drifting back and forth in empty space. Just like their owner, all these feelings were numb and had no clue where to go.

"I've had enough!" seeing the reflection of my weary face casted on the fountain, I spoke to it, "I went to the pub, almost passed out, got up on gambling, tried to hook up with a prostitute... what's next?"

In disbelief, I questioned myself over and over, but the pain wouldn't go... the guilt, rage and the thought of that disgusting guy (Vel), never disappeared!

"Urgh!!" I moaned in agony.

I had tried to pounce into the fountain water not too long ago. My only thoughts were on how to drown myself in that shallow water... However, as fate would have it, only my brown pants were soaked in water and had the funny smell of iron.

I had hit my head on a piece of brick, when I slipped, trying to stand up. Somehow I began to come to my senses a little at a time as I got up on my feet.

I could feel warm blood trickling down my forehead, over my nose and under my chin. I spit out the bitter red blood drops that had entered my mouth.

"Disgusting!"

I realized that there wasn't going to be a "cooling off" for me tonight. My ambivalent emotions were greater for me, compared to my physical welfare, at the time. Suddenly, the churning in my stomach made it clear how stupid I was... I burst out, my mouth wide open, coughing and vomiting beside the fountain.

The ground beside the fountain was dry and hard with dust sprawling around. I felt like I was being choked by somebody, struggling and almost dying from lack of oxygen!

I pulled my head upwards before I could suffer more damage. In the end, I coughed some more and fell on my back onto the barren ground. Thankfully, the fountain was right beside me to clean up my medieval outfit.

...

My clothes smelled like skunk and my fingers twirled around each other, fighting the lock that wouldn't accept my room keys. After various failed attempts, the sucker, finally surrendered to my persistence!

As I opened the door, my eyes lifted upward, towards the ceiling. As I tried squinting my eyes to view whatever was making those buzzing sounds in the dark room, a gang of mosquitoes gathered around me. They were trying to desperately get close to me. I tried to defend myself, but the door suddenly shut by itself, out of nowhere as perpetual darkness eventually took over.

I stared at the ghostly figure in front of me. Pale white as a sheet and... did it even have legs?!

I stuttered trying to pronounce, "Ah... eh.. akk..."

Ever since coming here, this was the second time I had ever felt terrified. Then!

I could hear some squeaky footsteps coming my way... I gulped down my saliva, whole.