Chapter 11: No More Secrets! (1)

"She's not going anywhere!" I was woken up by mom's shout.

"I'm not saying tha-" Dad was cut off.

"What's going on?" I heard Fred as he ran down the staircase, in a panicked voice.

"He says that it's better to give her up..." Mom was sobbing.

I flopped up straight and flew towards the door. It was really hard to open the stupid doorknob by bare hands... That's when it hit me, I have mana!

I used mana manipulation to open the door. Too eager to understand the situation, I sent a telepathic signal to Helen, asking question after question.

"Look, honey," Dad tried to calm her, "Baby Glow is really powerful and with so many loose ends-" he stopped short.

Our eyes met and Dad quickly shifted his face from me. I had flung myself into the living room and possibly... overheard them. It was about me. Everything. I stared into the room full of the crowded family.

"[Helen, is this why you didn't respond?]" I asked her.

"Yep."

"[Daddy,]" I approached dad with a sulky face, "[do you not want me? Am I a bother...?]"

This wasn't a joke. I was actually asking him. I was becoming aware and scared. I felt myself tremble. I made sure to sound polite and good. Alas! I hated it... this situation was a melodrama I did not want to be a part of. The scariest thought in the back of my mind was, "Will I be abandoned? Again?"

I began to weep as dad slowly tucked me into his hairy arms. He smelled funny, but that wasn't really half as important.

"No, no, no," he cuddled my tiny body tightly and kissed my forehead, "sweetie, that's not it. I'm just trying to tell your mother, facts."

"Such as?!" Mom shrieked even louder.

Fred put up a sound barrier around the house to not disturb the neighbours.

"For starters, THEY know about our location..." Dad pondered with a serious face, in spite of his mental exhaustion, "we have barely enough security for ourselves, not to mention, the villagers of Ador! And to train our baby girl will be too... too..."

"Risky," Helen exclaimed, expressionless still.

"Exactly!" Dad pointed out, "Moreover, we've still got two daughters who are missing! I'm in a bind..."

There were tears in his eyes. Although Avalon would often groan or immerse into sadness if his daughters ignored him, he wouldn't cry, but act. Of course, like most fathers, he was a terrible actor in front of his 'little angels'. This time, he was not joking around... it was serious.

"Its hard, but I don't want to put her in danger either, but...!" Mom was verifying her jumbled distraught.

"It's impossible." Dad repeated.

"Dad, if I may," Fred commented, "Prince Charles Melendor Von Hearth Arc, had sent this letter earlier today... would you like to read it?"

Fred was smiling!

"Very well, son," Dad sighed at our futile situation and took the letter from Fred's hand.

The more examined it, the more his expression changed. Then he began laughing. It was creepy, at first, but then he dashed towards mom and hugged her.

This was one of the first things I'd seen since my earliest memories as Gloria. A sight to behold! Every time our dad returned home from tiring adventures, he never missed hugging mom, before he stumbled onto the couch for breath.