Chapter 10: Gradual Break-through!

"Don't hurt her!" Dad barked.

"Manners, or her funeral." the fake smirked wickedly.

"Mommy," Carmine called.

I could hear Dad clicking his tongue in disdain.

"Its alright sweetie," Mom reassured the terrified Helen, "please," she turned to the fake, "what do you want? Don't hurt my daughter..."

"Nothing," she replied with a humming tone, as if wondering something playfully, "just a trade."

"A trade?!" Dad and Fred panicked as their tones synchronized.

"Ah, yes," the fake seemed to be relaxed, "for the crown prince's fiancee. What do you say?"

Nobody moved or made a sound. My jaw dropped as if this horrifying scene was out of a movie or something.

"Wh-" Fred was interrupted.

"Its the Dark guild's bargain." the fake said with a dry laugh.

"Daa Gui?" I mumbled to Fred who tightly held onto me.

"Yeah," Fred replied, "they're the ones who were... after us..."

"Swift?" I asked, baffled.

"That's right."

"No, wait," Mom's voice shook in fear, "is there no other option?"

She was the mother. Of course the choice was utterly impossible for her. Serene had to either give up on Helen or Carmine. Either way, her motherhood would be questioned.

"Wh-what if," Mom tried to ease her quivering voice, "you take me instead and leave my daughters alone?"

Mom had transferred Carmine to Fred before anybody else noticed.

"..."

There was a strong pause in the room. Gloomy and desperate.

"That's cheating," the fake finally answered.

Just as she said so, Avalon had already pounded his sword at her, but he was swatted back like a fly. He landed on his feet and breathed hastily as he swished again for another spar.

A gust of whirlwind helped him this time. Serene was already backing him up now.

The knife let Helen go and in the spur of a moment, she ignited it with fire. Fake Ririna let go of the burning knife, startled by Helen's sudden movement.

In two seconds flat, Helen was by our side, panting and holding her neck. She had this scary expression I had never witnessed before.

"Baby Glow," Fred's voice stuttered at some point, "stay h-here and wait. No movements."

But before Fred could grab hold of his sword, Mom shrieked. Fred jumped and so did Helen, gripping me and Carmine in the process. As we went up into the air, I felt safe for the first time in my life, thank goodness I had learnt the flying spell beforehand. This way, I had more than enough protection to cover me up...!

Avalon and the intruder were crossing their swords for the first time, neck and neck. The rumored Great Lightning King Sword verses a Japanese half-broken katana.

Neither one bulged from spot. However, thanks to the fake's dirty trick, mom got caught and a glimpse of concentration from dad, sent him flying back at us. That's how I was tossed into the air. The wooden floor beneath Avalon's feet was destroyed and he was lightly wounded.

"Trying to trick me, eh?" Fake Ririna chuckled with cold calculating eyes.

Dad was already exhausted. He did not have his protective sheild with him, nor any other weapons, or the windstorm magical cloak. He also had to limit his powers from destroying our house, whilst protecting us.