epilogue.

epilogue. | BETTER DAYS

"And so," I said, "the five friends ran off to the Isle of the Lost, and its people and the people of Auradon became one. And everyone lived out the rest of their lives in happiness."

"What, no happily ever after?" the little girl asked me.

I shook my head, leaning over and bopping her nose. "Not every story has a happily ever after, Maddie. It's up to you to decide what the ending of your story is."

Maddie grinned. "I like your stories, though. They always have good endings. Not perfect, but... good. They're sat... satix... satisfying."

I raised an eyebrow. "Where did you learn that word?"

"Evie told me!" Maddie replied.

I chuckled, shaking my head. "Even after all this time, that woman is still teaching us." Looking at the little purple-haired girl, I said, "Well, that's a nice word. Thank you."

"Yeah, they're the best!" the little boy next to Maddie said to me.

I grinned at him. "Keep your voice down, Frankie. It's late." Standing up, I ruffled his bright orange hair. "And it's way past your bedtime, anyway."

The two of them let out loud, disappointed groans of protest.

"But we're not tired!" Frankie told me.

"It's still time for bed." I smiled at him. "So get some rest, okay?"

Frankie nodded, snuggling down under the covers. "M'kay."

I leaned over, kissing his forehead. "Goodnight, my little warlock."

"G'night, Mama," Frankie said.

I walked over to Maddie. "Goodnight, my brave little dragon."

Maddie smiled up at me. "G'night, Mama."

I went over to the door, opening it and stepping into the doorway. Then, I stopped and looked at each of them, winking at them before turning off the lights and gently closing the door.

Once I was on the other side, I bit my fingernail to hide my smile before walking down the hall and out to the balcony garden. The moon was high in the sky, casting a silvery glow across the mountain we lived on, and a cool breeze blew through the forest below us. I sighed in content, walking forward and running my hand along the wooden railing, then stopped and leaned over it, closing my eyes as the wind and moonlight hit my face.

"They've finally settled down, huh?"

I grinned, turning around and nodding as Mal walked up to me. "Yeah. I told them a story, and after that I said they had to go to bed."

"You told them the same one?" Mal asked.

I nodded again, letting out a soft chuckle. "Of course, it's the only one they want to hear."

Mal just laughed, putting her arms around my waist, and I shook my head before looping my arms around her neck.

"So," Mal said after a moment. "How are things as Auradon's favorite art teacher?"