➣ twelve.

012. | THE END?

When I woke up, the first thing I noticed was that I wasn't in my room or in the cathedral. I was in some sort of hospital, which was practically empty except for me and a few nurses.

The second thing I noticed was that Mal was sitting next to me, her hand holding my own as she looked at me. Her face was puffy and red, and wet with tears, but her eyes lit up when she saw that I was awake.

"Hey, loser," I said softly, my lips turning up in a gentle smile.

Mal just shook her head with a relieved laugh. Then she leaned over me, embracing me in a tight hug. I hugged her back just as tightly, breathing in her scent as I buried my face in her shoulder. Then, Mal leaned back before taking my cheeks in her hands and pressing her nose and forehead against mine. I inhaled sharply at her actions, my body freezing. But then, my eyes closed and my body relaxed. This was exactly what I had wanted. A tender moment between the two of us, away from classes, away from school, away from even our friends. Just me and Mal, together, for a small moment in time.

When Mal finally pulled away, we were both smiling like idiots. I honestly had never felt so relieved yet happy in my life.

We were both quiet before Mal said, "Fred? Have you always had freckles on your face?"

I began to laugh. "You're just now noticing this?"

She laughed as well. "You know I don't pay attention to that kind of stuff."

I rolled my eyes at her, hitting her shoulder playfully. "Well, if you're going to be my girlfriend then you really should."

The word was out of my mouth before I could stop myself. Mal's eyes widened when she fully registered what I had actually said, and I quickly tried to cover it up. "But only if you want to be - I didn't mean-"

Mal laughed. "Freddy, of course I want to be your girlfriend. Don't even think for a second that I don't."

I relaxed, smiling at her. Then the events of the day came back to me like a flood, and I sat up quickly, ignoring the throbbing pain in my head. "Oh my god, Mal, your mom - my mom, they-"

"Hey, it's okay," Mal said, pushing me back down and squeezing my hand gently. "My mom's not going to hurt anyone anymore."

I frowned. "But you - how did you-"

Mal smirked mischievously, her eyes suddenly glowing and bright green, before they faded back to their normal blue color as she said, "I handled it."

I couldn't seem to wrap my head around the fact. Mal had defeated her mom - and most likely inherited her powers as a result.

"Hey, don't worry," Mal said. "I'm still the same girl." Smirking again, she added, "Though I can't say as much for you."

I frowned again. "What do you–"

"Fred, your eyes are green."

I blinked. "They're green?"

"Yep, green." Mal put her hand on my face. "Don't freak, they look great on you."

I shook my head and pushed myself up again, swinging my legs over the side of the bed as Mal raised an eyebrow at me.

"What are you doing?" Mal asked.

"I'm leaving." When Mal frowned, I explained, "We have a party to get to, remember?"

She just chuckled, shaking her head as she leaned forward and pressed a kiss to the bridge of my nose. "That's my girl."

━━ ✥ ━━

Three weeks went by, and by that time everyone in Auradon Prep knew that Mal and I were a couple. Though neither of us had actually announced it, it was pretty obvious, and I was glad that no one had actually questioned us or our relationship. Everyone seemed really accepting, which made things a lot easier for us.

But things weren't easy for me, personally. Lately I'd been having weird dreams - bad dreams that woke me up in the middle of the night. I couldn't explain why or what they meant, and Mal kept telling me that they were just nightmares, but I knew that they weren't a good sign.

Then, one night, I had a dream that I just knew was a bad omen.

It was a fast one, only fleeting images and blurs of color. But then I saw a girl with long blue braids, and heard an all too familiar, evil laugh, followed by the roar of a dragon, and I shot up out of bed with a gasp, my heart pounding in my chest and my breath coming out erratically.

Mal immediately woke up as well, looking extremely concerned as she turned to me. "Hey, you okay?" Mal asked quietly from across the room, keeping her voice low so she wouldn't wake up Evie.

I nodded, taking a deep breath to regulate my heartbeat. "Yeah. I just... had a bad dream."

Mal nodded, walking over to me and sitting down beside me. "You wanna talk about it?"

I sighed. "I saw something... Look, I don't know how to explain it, but... I feel like something is happening on the Isle. Something bad." I gave Mal a worried look. "And it has something to do with Uma."

━━━━━━━ ❃ ━━━━━━━

A/N: Dun dun duuuuunnnnn!!

Well, here we are at the end of part one! This chapter is mainly just to wrap things up, so that's why it's so short. I'm setting up the story for the next part, so I hope you guys are ready!

Part two is going to take place during the events of Descendants 2, and this one will focus a lot more on the development of Mal & Freddy's relationship. Knowing my super soft, wimpy ass it's probably gonna be super fluffy with some angst here and there, so get ready for that. Also, be prepared to meet an original character who's personality may or may not be inspired by her fc)

 Also, be prepared to meet an original character who's personality may or may not be inspired by her fc)