➣ nineteen.

019. | GIRL TALK WITH THE BOYS

When we all got in the limo, I immediately bit my lip, trying not to get upset over Harley. She'd just risked everything to get me and my friends out safely, and it hurt me knowing that I might never see her again.

I felt an arm wrap around me, and I turned to Mal in surprise. She gave me a sympathetic smile, and I nodded gratefully before leaning my head on her shoulder and wrapping my arm around her stomach.

"Harley's a smart, tough girl," Mal told me, rubbing my arm in an attempt to comfort me. "She'll be fine, don't worry."

We were quiet for a moment before Ben finally decided to speak. "I'm really sorry that things didn't go the way you wanted them to," he said.

Mal looked at him. "I mean, as long as you're safe, that's..." She trailed off, unsure of what to say.

"Well, I mean, at least I got to see the Isle," Ben said. Looking out the window, he added. "They're my people, too. Uma helped me see that."

Mal looked at him in shock, and I said to him, "Ben, Uma captured you. And me."

"She's an angry girl with a bad plan," Ben said. "That's not so different from you two when you came to Auradon."

The three of us fell silent, an awkward tension in the air.

"Awkward," Dude suddenly said.

Evie winced apologetically, and Carlos told the little dog, "Dude, I know you can talk, but it doesn't always mean you should."

I looked up at Mal, who brushed my hair away from my face and drew her thumb over my cheek. I'm glad you're okay, she said to me.

I nodded. I am, too.

"Here we go," Jay called to us from the driver's seat, and with a loud jolt, we broke the barrier and went back to Auradon.

━━ ✥ ━━

"I'll get these back to the gym," Lonnie said to us, shouldering the bag of swords.

Jay smiled and nodded. "Thanks."

Lonnie called a farewell over her shoulder, and as she left, Jane approached me, looking as frantic as ever.

"Ben, Freddy, there you are," she said. "Cotillion's tonight." Gesturing for me to come to her, she showed me the finished product of the present I had for Mal - a stained glass window. Ben had helped me out with getting the pieces and colors, while I oversaw the design, and I really hoped that Mal would like it. "Look, this is the stained glass window for Mal. Isn't it beautiful? She's gonna love it."

When Ben and I saw Mal's frustration, I walked over to her and put my hands on her face, saying to her quietly, "Do you want to cancel?"

Jane sensed something was up, rushing out quickly, "Um, you know what? I can come back. Uh, but, like, really, really soon..."

"No, no, no," Ben cut in. "No, no, no. Now's fine. I'll come with you. Freddy, um..." He looked at me. "Do whatever you need to do."