➣ twenty-eight.

028. | CONTROL

There was a tiny part of me that knew I was overreacting. There was a tiny part of me that knew that I shouldn't have turned my friends to stone and trapped Mal in the forest. There was a tiny part of me that knew that what I was doing was wrong. But I was just so angry, and with my feelings being fueled by the necklace, I had no desire to go back and fix it.

So as I walked across the front lawn of Auradon Prep, I pushed all thoughts of Mal and my friends to the back of my mind. They weren't important anymore. Then, I glanced down at my hands, which were still covered in black fire, and I smirked before I looked back up and began to sing.

"They send me away to find them a fortune
A chest filled with diamonds and gold
The house was awake, the shadows and monsters
The hallways, they echoed and groaned

I sat alone, in bed till the morning
I'm crying, 'They're coming for me'
And I tried to hold these secrets inside me
My mind's like a deadly disease

I'm bigger than my body
I'm colder than this home
I'm meaner than my demons
I'm bigger than these bones

And all the kids cried out, 'Please stop, you're scaring me'
I can't help this awful energy
God damn right, you should be scared of me
Who is in control?

I paced around for hours on empty
I jumped at the slightest of sounds
And I couldn't stand the person inside me
I turned all the mirrors around

I'm bigger than my body
I'm colder than this home
I'm meaner than my demons
I'm bigger than these bones

And all the kids cried out, 'Please stop, you're scaring me'
I can't help this awful energy
God damn right, you should be scared of me
Who is in control?

I'm well acquainted with villains that live in my head
They beg me to write them so they'll never die when I'm dead
And I've grown familiar with villains that live in my head
They beg me to write them so I'll never die when I'm dead

I'm bigger than my body
I'm colder than this home
I'm meaner than my demons
I'm bigger than these bones

And all the kids cried out, 'Please stop, you're scaring me'
I can't help this awful energy
God damn right, you should be scared of me
Who is in control?

And all the kids cried out, 'Please stop, you're scaring me'
I can't help this awful energy
God damn right, you should be scared of me
Who is in control?"

I raised my hand, preparing to set one of the trees on fire, only to freeze when I heard a voice.

"Freddy, wait!"

I stopped, turning around. It was Mal, who was looking at me with a guarded expression.

"Freddy, please," Mal said. "Listen to me. You have to take that necklace off, this isn't you."

I laughed dryly. "You obviously don't know me, then."

"I do know you," Mal said. "And the real Freddy would never do anything to hurt her friends or me." When I just stared at her, she went on, "I love you so much, Freddy. And I know I shouldn't have lied to you. I was afraid that I would lose you if I told you the truth, and I couldn't live with myself if I did lose you. But you've been honest with me for all this time. So I should've done the same." Mal kept walking forward, locking eyes with me. "You have no idea how sorry I am. For all of this. This never would've happened if I had just been honest with you. You never would've done this if I had just told you the truth. But please... take off that necklace. Give me back the Freddy I know. The Freddy I fell in love with." She took my hands. "I can't do this without you."

I looked away. "No. You... you lied to me."

"And I regret it more than you will ever know," Mal said. "Please, Freddy. You're stronger than this, I know you are." She tapped the necklace around my neck.

Her words suddenly triggered a memory in my brain. I was taken back to the Isle, and I heard Savvy's voice in my head. I believe in you. You're stronger than this, I know you are.

I pushed away from Mal, slamming my hands over my head as I stumbled back. I squeezed my eyes shut, pulling at my hair as I tried to expel all the darkness from inside me.

"Get out," I said to myself, pounding on my head as I tried to regain control over myself. "Get out, get out, get out, get out, GET OUT!!"

Mal stepped towards me. "Freddy–"

"GET OUT OF ME!!" I screamed, then grabbed the necklace and yanked it off my neck before throwing it to the ground. A pulse of black light exploded from my body as soon as the necklace landed in the grass, and I gasped as a wave of dizziness and exhaustion washed over me, causing me to fall to the ground.

"Freddy!" Mal cried, rushing over to me. She dropped to her knees, then pulled my upper body into her lap. "Freddy, please don't go."

I looked up at her and smiled, reaching out and cupping her cheek. "I'm not going anywhere."

Mal smiled, letting out a choked, relieved laugh. "You... You're back?"

I nodded, sitting up to look at her. "I'm back."

Mal hugged me and buried her face in my neck — most likely to hide her tears. And I hugged her back, kissing her cheek before resting my chin on her shoulder.

"Thank you," I whispered.

Mal looked at me. "For what?"

I smiled softly. "For never giving up on me."

She leaned in close, placing her hand on my face and pressing her lips against mine in a kiss. I melted into the kiss, looping my arms around her neck and scooting even closer.

"I'm never going to give up on you," Mal said after she pulled away. "Ever."

I let out a gentle laugh, both relieved and happy that I had full control again.

But then, our moment was shattered when a terrified voice screamed from above us, and dread filled my body when I recognized who it was.

It was Celia.

━━━━━━━ ❃ ━━━━━━━

A/N: I know this chapter is real short and real shitty but I honestly could not have Freddy be completely heartless and evil for more than one chapter.

'Tis sad, I know. 

Lmao anyway, we only have two more chapters till the epilogue! I'm sad that this book is coming to an end, but I'm happy with all the love and support that it's received!

Love you guys, and see you next chapter!