➣ seventeen.

017. | THE GIRL FROM THE ISLE

Mal had explained to me that while I had been captured, she had tried winning Ben back from Uma, but when the blue haired girl told her that Mal had to bring her Fairy Godmother's wand, Mal was so shocked that she had lost. So now, we needed to figure out how to get Ben back without actually giving Uma what she wanted.

"There's no way we're gonna give Uma the wand!" Evie told us as Mal paced back and forth. "We can't just let her destroy Auradon."

"Uma doesn't get the wand, then Ben is toast, guys," Carlos pointed out.

"Right, so we're gonna give Uma, of all people, the wand," Evie retorted.

"Do we have another choice?" Jay cut in.

Suddenly an idea popped into my head, and I sat up quickly. "Wait! You guys!" Gesturing to Carlos, I said, "Your 3D printer."

"A phony wand?" Carlos asked, quickly catching on.

"Yes!" Mal said as she pointed at me. "Great idea, Freddy."

"And the second Uma tests it, she'll know it's fake," Evie reminded us.

"Well, okay, so then we just get Ben out really fast," Mal said. "We need some kind of diversion."

"Smoke bombs!" Jay said after a pause.

Mal snapped her fingers at him, and Evie said, "That's perfect."

"I'll get the chemicals we need from Lady Tremaine's place," I said, remembering how Mal and I used to make them all the time. "That could work."

Evie and I got up, heading over to grab our things. Then Evie stopped and turned to Mal, taking a lock of her hair and saying, "Oh, and sick hair, by the way."

I nodded in agreement. "Yeah, Evil Stepmom seriously stepped up her game."

Mal looked at her own hair before turning to us. "Okay, do you want to know something? Dizzy did this."

I blinked at the mention of Lady Tremaine's granddaughter. "Little Dizzy?"

When Mal nodded, Evie gasped. "Shut up!"

"I know, I'm, like, loving it," Mal said. "It's, like, a lot lighter."

"I'm really proud of her," Evie said.

Jay cleared his throat, catching our attention, and Carlos called, "Hello?"

We nodded, a little embarrassed by the distraction.

"Right," Mal said. "Carlos, Jay, you guys meet us at Pirates Bay no later than noon."

"And, you guys," I added. "Losing—not an option. Cause we're rotten..."

"To the core," we all finished.

Mal gestured to the door. "Let's do this."

While Jay and Carlos headed back to Auradon, Mal, Evie and I headed over to Lady Tremaine's place to get the supplies we needed for the smoke bombs. As we walked, Mal turned to me. "So how's Harley doing?"

I shrugged. "We haven't been able to talk much since we've been back. But I think she got another tattoo."

Mal laughed. "Really, another one? How many is that, now? Like, five?"

"Seven," I corrected her.

"If she keeps going at this rate she could be the human version of a tagged wall," Mal said, and we both laughed.