Chapter 57: Explanations

Groaning, I rolled over onto my side as the alarm clock rang. I ran my hands over my eyes and sat up. My body was still aching from work yesterday, and I was exhausted. I turned my body slowly to see if Jesse was still asleep, and he wasn’t there. I checked the time on the clock.

11:12 am

I must have overslept. Groaning again, I stood up and made my way to the bathroom. My hangover had disappeared which I was glad for, but now I was just hurting. I switched the light on in the bathroom and made my way over to the sink. I looked at myself in the mirror. I had circles beneath my eyes, and my skin was really dry. I stripped off my clothes and turned the shower on, waiting for it to heat up. Once the water was warmed to my satisfaction, I climbed in and sighed happily. The water washed over my body and I shampooed my brown hair, and cleaned the sand out of my body. Once I was done, I stepped out and wrapped a towel around my body, only to have Jesse ambush me in a big hug. He wrapped his arms around my waist and rested his chin on my shoulder, leaving kisses on my neck.

“Good morning beautiful.” He greeted me with a smile. I smiled back at him and making sure my towel was securely tucked in and holding up by itself, I turned around and threw my arms around his neck, kissing him passionately. He held my waist and propped my up on the basin edge. I smiled.

“Morning Jesse.” I replied. He pulled away and laughed. His laugh was so adorable, I couldn’t not laugh with him. I felt a nagging in the back of my head. I was itching to tell him about the kiss with Gonzo and me flipping out and that Hoppo lied to him, but I knew I couldn’t. I couldn’t without ruining my relationship with Jesse, and betraying Maxi’s trust.

“What’s wrong Hun?” he asked, seeing my frown. I shook my head.

“Nothing. Just thinking.” I replied. I jumped off the edge of the sink and pushed Jesse out of the bathroom.

“Ow, what are you doing?” He complained. I laughed.

“Getting dressed.” I replied with a smirk. Jesse pouted and I rolled my eyes. Shutting the door again, I let my towel drop to the floor. I grabbed my underwear and pulled them on, followed by a pair of denim shorts and a badmax singlet. Then I shoved my hair into a braid and opened the bathroom door and walked out to the kitchen. I drank a glass of water and then entered the living room, where Jesse was lying all over the couch lazily and watching the Ellen show. I quietly crept over to him and jumped onto his back (carefully so I didn’t hurt it) and began to kiss his neck. I felt his body tense up and he rolled over so I was lying on his stomach. He grinned. I pecked him on the lips and he rolled us over so I was tucked into his body protectively. His arm was around my waist and his head nuzzled into the crook of my neck. I smiled.

“Baby, I need you to do something for me.” I said with a cheeky tone. Jesse kissed my neck.

“And what would that be?” he whispered sexily in my ear. I grinned.

“The laundry whilst I go to the flight centre.” I said cheekily. I turned to face him.

“Why?” He asked. I rolled my eyes.

“Because we have no clean clothes.” I explained. He sighed.

“Fine. But I get kisses when you get home. Deal?” He argued. I grinned cheekily.

“Only if you do the washing though.” I argued back playfully. Jesse pecked me on the lips.

“Of course.” He replied. He got up and went to our bedroom to pick up all the clothes. I grabbed my bag shoved some thongs onto my feet and made sure I looked at least a bit presentable.

“I’M GOING NOW BABE!” I yelled through the house.

“KAY, SEE YOU SOON BEAUTIFUL!” Jesse replied. I grinned and walked out of the house. The front yard was a mess. There were surfboards littered pretty much all over the grass and wetsuits and bikinis were strung up along our makeshift clothes line. Sighing at the chaos, I continued down towards the car. I was about to get in, when somebody threw their arms around me. I looked expecting Jesse, but to find Kara, with a tear stained face and blood-shot eyes. She sobbed into my shoulder and momentarily I had no idea what to do. Her snuffles sent vibrations through my body and I returned the hug. She pulled out of it.

“Kara what’s wrong?” I asked, worried for my good friend. I did feel bad for neglecting her a bit in the past few weeks, but things had been really hectic. She looked up at me and managed a small smile.

“Uh, I’ll tell you, but can we do it in private?” She whispered quietly. I nodded.

“Sure, I was just about to go to the Flight Centre and get some quotes for how much a trip to the UK would cost, but if you want to talk I can-“ I rambled on and Kara cut me off.

“Can I come with you? I need to get things off my mind for a little bit.” She replied. I nodded and we both climbed into the car. I started the engine and reversed out of the drive, waiting for Kara to explain. I drove down our street and along the beach. Traffic wasn’t too heavy, but heavy enough for us to stop and sit in silence for a while.

“He cheated on me.” She said softly. My jaw dropped and I turned in my seat to face Kara.

“What!?” I asked, completely taken aback. Kara nodded and stifled a sob.

“I had just finished work and realised that I left some of my stuff at Maxi’s place the night before. I texted him, telling him that I was coming to pick up the stuff. I got to his place and used the spare key that he keeps under his garden gnome to let myself in because nobody answered the door. I called out a few times, and thinking nobody was home, I walked straight into the bedroom. Maxi was… doing things with another girl. He looked shocked, like he wasn’t expecting me at all. The girl smirked at me and said she would wait for Maxi in the kitchen. Then I slapped him, told him it was over and left.” Kara began crying uncontrollably and sniffled.

“Kara, it’s okay. You’re going to be fine.” I reassured her, not very certain what to do. I’d never been in this position before.

“Oh, I was so horrible to you! I was so confused and upset and the thing was, I thought that it was you with Maxi. The girl had brown hair and I was so distraught that I just assumed the worst.” She explained. I sighed and gave her a hug before having to start driving again.

“I want you to know Kara, I would never, ever, ever do that to one of my friends. I’m too loyal.” I assured her, but a little voice in my head begged to differ.

Then why are you keeping secrets from your boyfriend? It pestered me. Shut up. I need to be here for Kara right now. I told my head.

“I know. Emma called me and explained she really thought you knew nothing. I was so terrible and just couldn’t muster up the courage to come and talk to you until I saw Maxi yesterday.” Kara told me, apologizing. “It was a wakeup call. He looked so miserable.” She added in a barely audible tone.

“Oh honey, its fine. I forgive you. I do have to admit, I was a little hurt, but I understand now.” I said, forgiving my good girlfriend. She smiled a small smile.

“Thankyou. I feel terrible.” She said a bit happier. I handed her a tissue as I pulled up outside the Flight Centre. She wiped her eyes and dabbed on a bit of makeup to cover her red and blotchy face. She grimaced at herself in the mirror.

“How bad do I look?” She asked. I rolled my eyes.

“We’ll just say its sunburn.” I replied, squeezing her hand. “Now, come on. Let’s go find out about this trip. Maybe you could come and reconcile with Maxi.” Kara nodded a little uncertainly, but left the car and followed me into the shop.

Ooooo who is the girl Maxi was with???? I wonder.... 

Sorry about the slowness of this story and all the intense drama but I do have some happy times planned and some funny ones too. 

Love you all and thanks for reading! XX

P.S- Please read the prologue for the sequeal to this story, Ocean Boy Enchantment, which is all about Kara and Maxi's romance. If you don't like the idea, comment and I will remove the book and just continue with this one.