Chapter 82: Quit

Emilee POV

“Are you sure you don’t want me to come in with you?” Nicola asked me again as we sat parked in her car outside my house. The one I shared with Jesse.

I gulped again for the hundredth time. I didn’t want Jesse to lose it if he was in there.

“I’ll be fine.” I replied. Nicola gave me a hug, and I opened the passenger door and Nicola chucked me my suitcase.

“Good luck Em. Call me as soon as you’re settled down again.” She said. I nodded.

“I promise.” I replied. She smiled again, and drove off. I turned to face the little cottage house that I had called home for some of the best months of my life.

I slowly dragged my case up the long driveway, which was still home to an array of surfboards, stand up paddle boards, racks, wetsuits and the occasional body board. The only thing was missing was Jesse’s motorbike. His car was missing too, and mine sat there lonely. He mustn’t be here.

I unlocked the front door, stepped into my house for the first time in three weeks. It was practically empty.

The couch and TV and furniture was still there, but all the photo frames and everything Jesse had brought from his room at his parents’ house was gone. The only pictures remaining were the ones of me and my family.

I ran to the bathroom.

All of his things were gone too.

Fighting back tears, I walked through the laundry to the backyard, where all of the missing photo frames and all of his things lay smashed on the ground. A piece of paper was taped to a ripped up photo of us together.

Tears streamed down my face, and I put my hand to my mouth in shock. With a shaking hand, I picked up the paper.

If you ever come back, I’m sorry you had to see this.

Get it Em?

I’M sorry, and YOU’RE not.

I didn’t do anything and I’m the one saying sorry.

The movers are coming on Friday. I’m selling the house, and don’t stop me just because you want a relationship you never actually tried for in the first place.

-Jesse

I fell to my knees, clutching the paper with his scrawled writing on it. It was the last note I would ever get from him ever.

I bent over the paper and cried and cried and cried.

Eventually, I came to my senses and left the backyard. If he wanted his shit sitting out in the yard exposed to the elements, he could have that. I wasn’t doing anything about it.

My sorrow quickly turned to anger. I was furious.

I grabbed my phone and dialled my dad’s number. He picked up straight away.

“Hello?”

“Dad it’s me.” I said through gritted teeth.

“Hey bub, what’s wrong?” He asked, sounding a bit scared.

“I hate everything. Jesse is selling the house, he’s moved out. I’m moving out too.” I restrained myself from yelling.

“Em, you have nowhere to go.” He told me sympathetically. My tone softened immediately.

“I was wondering… could I stay with you for a while?” I asked quietly.

“Of course baby girl. I’ll come and pick you up in ten.” He said. I agreed and hung up. I flopped onto my bed, and thought.