Chapter 54: News Years Eve Flashmob

Jesse and I rocked up to work at 11 on New Year’s Eve. The beach was buzzing, and so were we. The off-duty lifeguards had gathered, and after two days of heavy planning, the flash mob was ready to go. All the boys were undercover as swimmers in front of third ramp, and the music was ready, as was the megaphone. Jesse and I walked into the tower.

“Hey boys!” We said greeting Louie and Corey who were manning the tower.

“Hey. Have you got the stuff for today?” Louie asked us. I hugged Corey and handed Louie my phone that had the music on it.

“Yep. Is Harries ready?” Jesse asked. As if on cue, Harries burst through the door, wearing over exaggerated makeup and a hideous one-piece bathing suit.

“Hello ladies. I’m ready for my big Broadway debut!” He said striking a pose. I burst into laughter and Harries pretended to be offended.

“Keep dreaming Harries!” I said through laughter.

“Remember I’m doing this for you. Not me.” He said with a warning and then strutted out. Jesse joined me and held my hand. He chuckled.

“He definitely has issues.” He said. I rolled my eyes. Jesse laughed and we went over to the surveillance equipment. Using the stick to direct the cameras around, we saw the boys all ready and Harries began to take his place.

“Here we go Jesse!” I whispered excitedly. Speedily, Maxi flew in and took a seat next to us.

“Thank god you’re here.” Jesse said nudging him. Maxi was breathless, as if he had run all the way here, and he was wearing the stuff from yesterday. Weird, but I shrugged it off.

“Sorry, I was busy.” He said, catching his breath.

“Doing what?” I asked curiously. “And why are you wearing the same clothes as yesterday?” Maxi shot me a look and I sunk back into my chair, slightly offended. Louie tapped me on the shoulder.

“Hey, you ready Nals?” He asked, holding up my phone with the music on it. I nodded.

“Let’s do this!” We all cheered, and Jesse quickly dialled Harries’ number.

Harries POV

I actually felt ridiculous. Hopefully nobody recognised me. I strutted down the pavilion in character already, carrying a large beach bag and with headphones around my neck. People stared and I saw the boys all sunning themselves or reading or putting on sunscreen on, completely ready. I spotted Beardy and Reidy together and they saw me at the exact same time and snickered. They were never going to let me forget this as all. I walked down and placed myself in the middle of the boys, I began to carefully lay my stuff out, when I heard my phone chime. I picked it up.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Harries, get ready. We’re going in 10 seconds.” I heard Jesse’s voice and then he hung up. I put my phone in my pocket, and put the headphones on my head. I pretended to be tuning my radio, and I heard the countdown come on over the loudspeaker.

“10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1!” Then the music came on. Love Shack blasted over the speakers and I heard the cue for Yatesy, Bacon and Gonzo to start dancing.

I put sunscreen on and people started to gather and watch. Then the cue for 6 more of the boys came on with a song change to Working 9 to 5. I started to dance along, and the whole beach was watching.

I began to throw out some Beyoncé dance moves, and I spotted Em and Billy in the crowd. I smiled and I and all the boys danced out little hearts out to single ladies.

The crowd was laughing and then the music stopped suddenly. We all froze and Emilee walked out of the tower, holding a microphone and took a deep breath in before starting to sing Stronger, by Kelly Clarkson.