Chapter 2: Arrival

Bondi is my home. I had been studying surf culture in Bali for the past 10 years and I was finally returning home. My names Emilee and I am Kerrbox’s daughter. I was meeting him at Bondi since he wasn’t able to get any time off.

The beach was packed and I managed to dodge many of the weird people that crowded the sand and water. The sand was hot and I did the traditional hop across the sand towards the lifeguard tower where Dad told me where to meet him. I took out my iPhone and dialled dad’s number. It went to voicemail. Sighing, I went up to the tower and hesitated before opening the door. 

"Hello?" I asked. I heard footsteps coming and saw the most gorgeous guy I had ever seen!

"Hi, how can I help you?" His blue eyes gleamed and I blushed. "Do you want an autograph from one of the guys?" I snorted.

"Sorry, Kerrbox is my Dad- I'm Emilee." I stuck out my hand and the guy shook it. His hands were strong and firm and made me feel safe- I guess that’s what people want to feel if you're a lifeguard saving them. 

“Jesse.” I smiled and he led me up into the main tower and I saw two other guys sitting there watching the water. Jesse directed me to a chair and I sat down. There were four other guys in the tower. I recognised them from the show. Sitting and watching the water was Maxi and Taco and playing on his iPad was Reidy and then there was Jesse. The one who thought I was a fan girl. Reidy turned around and just about fell off his chair when he saw me.

“Shivers, who are you?” I smiled and he went a bit red. Maxi and Jesse were chuckling to themselves, but Taco seemed quite interested to see why I was there as well.

“I am Emilee, Kerrbox’s daughter.” Reidy stood up and smiled.

“Nice to meet you Nala!” I looked at Reidy shocked.

“What did you just call me?” He laughed

“Nala- it’s your new nickname.” Maxi and Jesse began to chuckle. I joined in.

“Or it could be Boxy Jr.” Maxi put in through laughing. I shot him a look and he looked flustered. “Um, actually no- Nala suits you.” I smiled and at that moment Dad came barging through the door.

“Hey dad!” He came over to me and crushed me in a giant bear hug.

“Hey Em! How was Bali?” I shrugged.

“It was good- great to see you again!” Dad kissed the top of my head and chuckled.

“I see you’ve met the troublesome duo!” I nodded.

“Yep, Jesse thought I was a fan girl.” Jesse blushed and dad laughed. Another lifeguard entered. He had soft brown curls and a firm expression.

“Box, you can have the rest of the day off to go home with your daughter. I’m sure Emilee is exhausted.” He smiled at me and I smiled back.

“Hey Hoppo.” Jesse and Maxi looked at each other confused and tried not to laugh. Dad and Hoppo looked at them sternly.

“Eyes on the water boys!” They turned around and continued to watch for any drowning as it was a very busy day. Dad took my heavy backpack off my back and slung it across his own.

“Let’s go sweets.” I nodded and waved to the guys who waved back. It was nice to be in Dad’s company again, I had really missed him. We walked up the promenade and got into his car. We drove for about 5 minutes talking and catching up with each other’s lives. Dad had been having a great time here at Bondi and I told him all about Bali and how great it had been being a professional surf instructor for a while.

“So, still got a crush on Hoppo?” I gasped at Dad’s joking comment. When I was little and used to come to the tower every day, I used to adore Hoppo and I would follow him everywhere. It stopped when I turned 5 and started to pay more attention Deano.

“No, he has aged significantly though. I’ve got my eye on Jesse though.” Dad laughed.

“Well, you’re in luck because he is our neighbour.” I smiled to myself happily. We pulled up at an apartment building and got out of the car. I grabbed my bag and Dad led me up to a small apartment with a little kitchen, one bathroom and one bedroom. He sighed as I put my stuff down on the floor in the Living area like he just remembered something.

“Only one bedroom!” he gasped. “I completely forgot!” I managed to smile.

“Dad, its fine, I’ll make do on the couch.” He shook his head.

“Alright, but I’ll get a bigger apartment later.” I groaned, knowing he was going to stick to his word. We sat around for a bit watching some T.V. He switched on the TV to channel 10 and we watched The Simpsons. It had been ages since I actually sat and watched television like normal people do. I would always be outside surfing or swimming or dodging sharks, but I decided against telling Dad about that.

We were sitting and eating food when there was a knock on the door. I got up and opened it to find Jesse, Maxi, Deano, Hoppo, Bacon and Reidy standing there.

“Um, DAD?” He came running and let the boys in who immediately sat down to watch television. Dad opened some Doritos and joined them. Confused and just a bit offended, I marched over and stood in front of the television, switching it off.

“Hello boys. What are you doing here?” Jesse and Maxi put their hands up to answer. I sighed and pointed to Maxi.

“It’s the first episode of the season- Bondi Rescue.” I shook my head and sat down in Hoppo’s lap. He laughed.

“Not as light as you used to be Hun.” I laughed and playfully hit his head.

“I resent that remark.” The rest of the guys sat there in complete confusion other than Dad, who just ignored it. Deano laughed, knowing what was going on as well and I smiled weakly at the younger ones as if to say, I’ll tell you later.

 first chapter done! Hope you all like it!